WEST LAFAYETTE, Ind. (Purdue Sports) — Purdue sophomore Trevion Williams was named to the Naismith Basketball Hall of Fame's Karl Malone Award watch list, given to the nation's top power forward, the organization announced today.
Williams is one of 20 players named and one of five Big Ten players on the list (Maryland's Jalen Smith, Michigan State's Xavier Tillman, Ohio State's Kaleb Wesson, Penn State's Lamar Stevens).
Williams, a 6-foot, 9-inch, 270-pound forward from Chicago, played sparingly in the first 10 games of the season as a freshman in 2018-19, but broke out after the calendar turned to 2019. Over the last 25 games, he averaged 6.0 points, 5.1 rebounds, 0.7 assists, 0.6 blocks and 0.4 steals per game in just 12.4 minutes per game.
For the season, he shot 54.2 percent from the field (78 of 144), good for eighth on the Purdue freshman all-time list. He recorded double-doubles against Michigan State (13 pts, 12 rebs) and Rutgers (16 pts, 13 rebs). Williams' 13 rebounds against Rutgers tied for the fourth most by a freshman in Purdue history.
Equated to 40 minutes over the last 25 games, Williams averaged 19.4 points, 16.5 rebounds, 2.3 assists, 1.9 blocks and 1.3 steals.
Williams and the Boilermakers open the regular season Nov. 6, when Green Bay visits Mackey Arena.
- Trevion Williams selected to Karl Malone Award watch list
- Trevion Williams selected to USA U19 World Cup team
- Vince Edwards makes Naismith Award watch list
- Purdue commit Trevion Williams' able to have a better life because of basketball
- Vincent Edwards named to Julius Erving Award watch list
- Rondale Moore named to Biletnikoff Award watch list
- Markus Bailey named to Butkus Award watch list
- Purdue's Eastern named to Julius Erving Award watch list
- Ae'Rianna Harris named to Lisa Leslie Award watch list
- Karl Lagerfeld, pioneering fashion designer, has died