WEST LAFAYETTE, Ind. (Purdue Sports) — Following her 3-0 weekend against Iowa, Sydney Bates is recognized by the conference as the Big Ten Pitcher and Freshman of the Week. She's the first Purdue player to earn Pitcher of the Week and Freshman of the Week since 2016. The last Purdue student-athlete to earn both awards on the same day was Lexi Moore in 2012.
Bates earned three complete-game wins, including two shutouts, and a 0.37 ERA in the circle over the weekend with 11 strikeouts in 19 innings of action against the Hawkeyes. The Davie, Florida, native became the first Boilermaker pitcher ever to earn a victory in all three games of a conference series, and the first Purdue hurler to throw back-to-back shutouts against a Big Ten opponent on consecutive days. She is one-of-six pitchers in program history to win three games in a row and is just one-of-three pitchers in Purdue history to win three-consecutive conference games.
After Bates allowed Iowa to score a run in the first inning of game one, she recorded 18 consecutive shutout innings against the Hawkeyes to pitch Purdue into the Big Ten Tournament. Iowa was able to knock Bates around in games one and two earning 15 hits and six walks. However, Bates was able to pitch her way out of trouble every time the pressure was on, stranding 18 runners on base including 13 Hawkeyes in scoring position. She only got better as the weekend went on as she allowed just four baserunners in game three and retired five-of-seven leadoff hitters with three 1-2-3 innings.
- Purdue's Sydney Bates earns pair of Big Ten honors
- McLaughlin, Harris earn preseason Big Ten honors
- Dellinger, Bell earn Big Ten weekly honors
- Purdue's Atkinson unanimously earns preseason All-Big Ten honors
- Purdue volleyball duo honored by Big Ten
- Purdue softball trio honored by Big Ten
- Carsen Edwards earns Big Ten’s first weekly honor
- Cleveland, Bush receive Big Ten Honors for Purdue Volleyball
- Purdue volleyball trio garners Big Ten awards
- Purdue women's basketball gets Big Ten schedule