WEST LAFAYETTE, Ind. (Purdue Sports) — Purdue women’s basketball’s Karissa McLaughlin was recognized as the Big Ten Conference Co-Freshman of the Week on Monday after a stellar season debut at Central Michigan on Friday. McLaughlin helped the Boilermakers to a 79-69 victory over the Chippewas, finishing with 21 points, five assists and four steals as she started the game and played 31 minutes.
McLaughlin is the first freshman to start the season opener for the Boilermakers since Courtney Moses in 2010, and like Moses eclipsed the 20-point mark in her debut. She hit 7-of-12 from the field, 3-of-6 from 3-point range and was a perfect 4-for-4 at the free throw line. Her five assists were a team high and her four steals matched sophomore Lamina Cooper for the Boilermakers’ top total.
McLaughlin shares the weekly honor with Nebraska’s Kate Cain, who posted 19 points, eight rebounds and three blocks in the Huskers’ win over SIU-Edwardsville. Purdue teammates Dominique Oden and Ae’Rianna Harris both won a Big Ten weekly freshman award last season, with Harris earning the last one Feb. 20, 2017.
The Boilermakers return to action Wednesday at 7 p.m. ET, hosting Miami (Ohio) for Purdue’s home opener. For tickets visit PurdueSports.com.
- Purdue's McLaughlin named Big Ten Co-Freshman of the Week
- Purdue's Moore named Big Ten co-Freshman of the Week
- Rondale Moore named co-Big Ten Freshman of the Week
- Rondale Moore named Big Ten Freshman of the Week
- Rondale Moore named Big Ten Freshman, Receiver of the Year
- Purdue's Carsen Edwards named Big Ten Player of the Week
- Purdue's McGowan named Big Ten Player of Week (Baseball)
- Purdue's Nick Delesandro named Big Ten Player of the Week
- McLaughlin, Purdue top Minnesota 64-53
- Purdue's Nisle named freshman All-American