WEST LAFAYETTE, Ind. (WLFI) - Purdue University's Day of Giving raised more than $37 million Wednesday. This year's total beat last year's record of $28 million.
"Purdue's Day of Giving is always a really exciting time of year for me," said Joe Bean, a student.
Wednesday was Purdue's 5th annual Day of Giving. It's a 24-hour online, social media-driven fundraiser.
"It’s definitely a nice little wave, right before finals to kind of kick off a little bit of fun," said Michael Fouch, another student.
Last year, Purdue raised more than $28 million. It was the third year in a row Purdue earned the record for most dollars raised for higher education through a single-day campaign.
Anyone can participate in the event to help support the university and specific programs, including the Purdue "All-American" Marching Band.
"Purdue's band and orchestra has over 1,000 people on campus and today we're getting a lot of funding taken care of for all sorts of events that we do," said Bean.
Bean is part of the band and looks forward to the event all year.
"A lot of what we do is hang out in the war room. So, we watch social media and all of these different challenges and we watch donations come in," said Bean.
He said the Day of Giving pays off.
"That bonus money we use for things like bowl game travel," said Bean.
Each hour, there were some games and events on campus to keep people engaged. During one event, students put together a mosaic mural. It was made out of pictures and posts off Instagram and Twitter that all had the hashtag Purdue Day of Giving.
However, the event is more than just fun and games. Fouch said he's at Purdue because of the scholarship the university gave him. The Day of Giving is his way of saying thank you.
"As a student, I donate as well to different organizations that I am really passionate about on campus," said Fouch.
- Purdue's Day of Giving raises $37 million
- Nearly $38 million raised during Purdue's Day of Giving
- Purdue breaks record giving with $451 million
- Purdue breaks 'Day of Giving' Record.... Again!
- Purdue receives $12 million grant
- HIGHLIGHTS: West Lafayette 75, Attica 37 (BBB)
- HIGHLIGHTS: Central Catholic 48, Attica 37 (GBB)
- Purdue trustees scrap Schnatter center name, offer to give back $8 million
- Purdue Crew is rowing and raising money
- Purdue Dance Marathon raises more than 1.2 Million for Riley Hospital for Children