WEST LAFAYETTE, Ind. (Purdue Sports) — Purdue sophomore Carsen Edwards has announced his intention to declare for the 2018 NBA Draft but will not hire an agent, maintaining his amateurism.
Edwards will put his name into the NBA Draft, making him eligible to be selected on draft night June 21. He will be able to start attending workouts scheduled by NBA teams April 24 and is eligible to compete in the NBA Draft Combine, if selected, from May 16 to 20 in Chicago. He then has 10 days (May 30 deadline) to weigh his options and keep his name in or withdrawal for the NBA Draft. Withdrawing his name from the Draft will maintain his eligibility in intercollegiate athletics.
Edwards, a 6-foot, 1-inch guard from Atascocita, Texas, was named a second-team All-American by the National Association of Basketball Coaches after averaging 18.5 points, 3.8 rebounds and 2.8 assists per game this past season. He set the school record for points scored by a sophomore (686) and his total was the 10th-highest mark in school history. He earned NCAA East Region All-Tournament team honors and is one of five finalists for the Jerry West Award, given to the nation's top shooting guard.
Edwards finished the season by scoring in double-figures in each of the last 20 games, surpassing 20 points nine times. He finished the year ranked third in the Big Ten in scoring and his 97 3-pointers were the second most in a season in school history. He was the first sophomore or younger to score 30 points in a game multiple times since Glenn Robinson during the 1992-93 season.
Edwards also became one of just seven players in school history to score 1,000 points in his first two seasons at Purdue, reaching the mark in the first half against Cal State Fullerton in the first round of the NCAA Tournament.
Purdue finished the season with a 30-7 overall record and was one of merely six schools to reach consecutive Sweet 16s.
- Purdue's Carsen Edwards to enter NBA Draft
- Purdue's Carsen Edwards to enter name in NBA Draft, not hiring agent
- Carsen Edwards to participate in Pacers pre-draft workouts Tuesday
- Purdue's Nojel Eastern declares for draft, not hiring agent
- Purdue's Carsen Edwards named to all-region team (NCAA Tournament)
- Purdue’s Carsen Edwards to return for junior season
- Purdue's Carsen Edwards named Big Ten Player of the Week
- Purdue's Carsen Edwards named NABC second-team All-American
- Carsen Edwards receives All-American honors
- Carsen Edwards wins Jerry West Award