WEST LAFAYETTE, Ind. (WLFI) - Purdue's Black Cultural Center is giving visitors a look back at fifty years of leadership and welcoming historical figures to campus. Titled "A Journey Through Black Excellence" the historical time line dates back to the late 1960's.
Danicia Malone was the lead when creating the time line. She wanted to highlight the movements occurring across the nation during this time. "There were lots of things going across the United States as we are all aware of. The Civil Rights Movement was taking hold, people were getting more involved with social change,” said Malone.
And Purdue University soon saw the same push for social equality. "Over two hundred students decided to march to the president's office with bricks in hand, some in bags. They set those bricks on the steps of the president's office demanding for change,” said Malone.
This march led to the creation of the Black Cultural Center.
The time line takes visitors through some of the most memorable moments through the center's fifty year history. Highlights include campus visits from historical figures such as Muhammad Ali and Sonia Sanchez.
The exhibition opened this January, but Malone has already seen its impact. "A guest stopped me and she had tears in her eyes because it was kind of overwhelming for her to remember her experience here,” said Malone.
Malone hopes to see the center continue to promote change into the future. "The work never stops, it always continues. We keep growing, we keep pushing and we keep learning,” said Malone.
- Purdue's Black Cultural Center unveils new historic time line
- Purdue's Black Cultural Center celebrates 50 years
- Purdue Black Cultural Center recognized as a Distinctive Destination
- Purdue Polynesian Cultural Club hosts annual Luau
- Lafayette celebrates Indian culture
- Purdue women's basketball unveils 2018-19 nonconference schedule
- New history center adds unique historic touches
- Purdue professor discusses black hole image
- Bobblehead Hall of Fame unveils Purdue Big Bass Drum bobblehead
- Purdue unveils new ice cream flavor for 150th anniversary