WEST LAFAYETTE, Ind. (Purdue Sports) — Redshirt senior outside hitter Sherridan Atkinson continues to reap the rewards of a career-setting weekend on the road as she added Sports Import/AVCA National Player of the Week accolades to her haul to her credentials. Atkinson already received the Big Ten Player of the Week nod for her efforts against Rutgers and then-No. 4 Penn State.
"I am extremely excited for Sherridan [Atkinson]," head coach Dave Shondell said. "She has been an absolute treat to coach and watch develop into a great teammate. Her performance at Penn State was one for the ages. When Sherridan [Atkinson] plays at her top level, we are very difficult to beat. I am looking forward to seeing where she leads this team."
The AVCA National Player of the Week honor is the first of Atkinson's career and the fourth in Purdue program history. She is the first Boilermaker to be recognized since outside hitter Ariel Turner garnered the honor on November 27, 2012.
The senior averaged 4.9 kills and 0.7 blocks per set, while hitting .448 against Rutgers and Penn State. She downed 12 kills and added four aces and three blocks, while hitting .323 in a four-set win over Rutgers before notching a career-high 32 kills and added five digs and three blocks in Purdue's five-set upset win over Penn State.
Purdue's national upset was the team's first road win over the Nittany Lions since 1982. In addition to her career-setting performance, Atkinson also posted her 1000th career kill in the win.
Overall, Atkinson leads the Boilermakers with 356 kills on the season, having collected five 20+ kill performances. She ranks first in the Big Ten for most points (415.5), third for total kills and is fourth in kills per set (4.00).
Atkinson and the Boilermakers continue their 2018 season with Michigan State on Wednesday, October 31. First serve is slated for 7 p.m. ET at Holloway Gymnasium.
- Purdue's Atkinson named national player of the week
- Purdue's Atkinson Big Ten Co-Player of the Week
- Purdue's Atkinson unanimously earns preseason All-Big Ten honors
- Atkinson, Mohler earn All-America honors
- Purdue's McGowan named Big Ten Player of Week (Baseball)
- Purdue's Nick Delesandro named Big Ten Player of the Week
- Purdue's Carsen Edwards named Big Ten Player of the Week
- Purdue's Hornung named Big Ten Defensive Player of the Week
- Six Purdue baseball players named All-Big Ten
- Carsen Edwards named Big Ten Co-Player of the Week, Purdue stays put at No. 3