WEST LAFAYETTE, Ind. (Purdue Sports) — Paced by a trio of players in double figures, the Purdue women's basketball team cruised to a 62-44 exhibition win over Southern Indiana at Mackey Arena on Sunday.
Freshman Rickie Woltman posted a double-double with a team-high 12 points and 11 rebounds.
Karissa McLaughlin and Dominique Oden joined the rookie in double figures with 12 and 10 points, respectively. The Boilermakers shot 38.1% from the field, including three quarters with a clip above 40%.
The Boilermakers bounced back from a slow start in the first quarter. Spurred by seven straight points, Purdue rolled off a 14-5 run to close the frame with a four-point lead. McLaughlin's 3-pointer with 3:47 to play in the first gave the Boilermakers the lead for good.
The streaky play did not subside for the hosts in the ensuing quarters. Purdue strung together streaks of 12 and eight points in the second and third quarter, respectively. The lead grew to as many as 23 in the third quarter after Roxane Makolo, Woltman and McLaughlin converted back-to-back-to-back jumpers.
DOMINATE THE PAINT
Purdue scored 40 of its 62 points in the paint (64.5%), compared to just 18 points for the Screaming Eagles. The Boilermakers also sat atop a lopsided rebounding margin, 47-26, which included 23 offensive boards converted into 23 second-chance points. Woltman and Fatou Diagne combined for 10 of offensive rebounds.
Head coach Sharon Versyp's thoughts on the game…
"It was okay. I thought we did some good things. I thought our shooting wasn't as efficient as it's been in the past. I was pleased with the three freshmen. We were able to play them as many minutes as possible to get them acclimated to a game at Mackey. I thought Tamara Farquhar was excellent. She only played 10 minutes, but she was an X factor for us. Karissa did a good job of running the offense and finding the right people. Our defense was really solid and gave us a boost today."
Sophomore Karissa McLaughlin on Rickie Woltman's play…
"Rickie really stood out for me today. She had a double-double in her first game at Mackey Arena. She was really confident, which is what we needed. We needed her to get rebounds and get some put-backs. She ran the floor hard and did exactly what we needed her to do."
• Purdue is now 46-3 all-time in exhibition games.
• Sunday was the Boilermakers' 41st straight win in a preseason contest.
• Under Versyp, Purdue is 16-0 in exhibitions.
• Tamara Farquhar was efficient in 14 minutes of action with six points, four rebounds and a plus-minus of 22.
• The Boilermakers scored over 15 points in each of the first three frames.
• Purdue assisted on 14-of-24 made shots, led by five dimes from Kayana Traylor.
• Makolo led the way on the defensive end with a pair of blocks.
• Purdue scored 25 points off 23 turnovers by Southern Indiana, 13 of which were steals.
• Karissa McLaughlin finished with a game-high five swipes.
• The Boilermakers held the lead for final 33:47 of the game.
The Boilermakers will open the 2019-20 season next Sunday, Nov. 10, at 2 p.m. against Milwaukee at Mackey Arena.
- Purdue women's basketball down Southern Indiana in exhibition
- Purdue to host Southern Indiana in exhibition game
- Purdue's Eastern to miss exhibition game against Southern Indiana
- Purdue cruises in exhibition match up with Southern Indiana
- Purdue basketball to host Marian in exhibition game
- Purdue women's basketball unveils 2018-19 nonconference schedule
- Purdue women's basketball gets Big Ten schedule
- Melanie Balcomb joins Purdue women basketball staff
- Parking information for Purdue-Indiana basketball game
- McLaughlin, Purdue rout Ashland in exhibition