WEST LAFAYETTE, Ind. (Purdue Sports) — The Big Ten Conference announced the season opponent breakdown for the 2018-19 women’s basketball season Thursday, revealing the Purdue women’s basketball team’s home and away games for the schedule. The Boilermakers will have eight single-play games, four coming at home and four more on the road, and will meet five schools twice, playing on both schools’ respective home floors.
The Boilermakers’ double-play opponents are Indiana, Iowa, Minnesota, Nebraska and Northwestern. Indiana, Iowa, Minnesota and Nebraska all finished in the top half of the conference last season, as the Hawkeyes, Golden Gophers and Cornhuskers all tied for third place at 11-5 in the Big Ten standings. Indiana tied Purdue for seventh place at 9-7. Iowa returns the bulk of its production from the 2017-18 season, most-importantly returning Big Ten Player of the Year and Second Team All-America Megan Gustafson, which led the conference in scoring and rebounding. Nebraska also returns most of its nucleus from 2017-18, including Second Team All-Big Ten guard Hannah Whitish.
Purdue will play host to Illinois, Maryland, Michigan and Ohio State on the conference schedule, welcoming a trio of NCAA Tournament qualifiers and the two schools who have combined to win the last four regular season conference championships. The Terrapins and Buckeyes tied for the Big Ten title in 2018, and while Maryland returns nearly every player from last season, Ohio State graduated the bulk of its roster. Michigan loses one of the nation’s top scorers, but returns All-Big Ten post player Hallie Thome.
The Boilermakers’ four road opponents are Michigan State, Penn State, Rutgers and Wisconsin. All four teams lost standout players this offseason, but return key pieces. Notably, Penn State brings back rising senior Teniya Page and Michigan State returns Shay Colley.
Dates and television designations will follow on the Boilermakers’ schedule this fall, and Purdue still awaits announcements of its opponents for the Paradise Jam and the ACC/Big Ten Challenge.
- Purdue women's basketball 2018-19 Big Ten opponents announced
- Purdue learns Big Ten basketball opponents for 2019-20
- Purdue women's basketball unveils 2018-19 nonconference schedule
- Purdue women's basketball gets Big Ten schedule
- Purdue women add threeto 2018-19 roster
- Purdue men's basketball to open Big Ten play at Michigan
- Purdue women to host Miami in ACC/Big Ten Challenge
- Purdue women's basketball falls to Virginia Tech in Big Ten/ACC Challenge
- Purdue women's basketball stymies Ohio State 66-50 in Big Ten opener
- Harris, McLaughlin lift Purdue women's basketball past Michigan State in Big Ten Tournament