WEST LAFAYETTE, Ind. (Purdue Sports) — The Purdue women's basketball team saw a six-game home win streak snapped and lost consecutive games for the first time this season Thursday, falling to visiting Nebraska at Mackey Arena 84-64. The Huskers were red-hot from the field all night, hitting 49.3 percent from the floor and dropping 11 3's as they dropped the Boilermakers to 15-8 overall and 6-4 in conference play.
The Boilermakers couldn't buy a bucket early-on Thursday, hitting three of their first 19 shots from the floor and spotting the Huskers a 22-7 lead from which Purdue would never recover. Purdue rallied on multiple occasions, cutting Nebraska's lead to three points in the second quarter, and pulling to within six in the third, but each time the Huskers countered with runs to pull back away.
Junior Dominique Oden led the Boilermakers with 18 points, including 16 in the second half, hitting 6-of-12 from the floor and adding six rebounds, three assists and a pair of steals. Oden climbed to 22nd on Purdue's all-time scoring list with 1,228 points, passing Lisa Jahner and Erika Valek, and is now within 18 points of former teammate Andreona Keys. Fellow junior Ae'Rianna Harris chipped in 15 points, eight rebounds and two blocks, while sophomore Karissa McLaughlin hit three 3's and finished with 13 points and five assists. Sophomore Lyndsey Whilby gave Purdue a spark off the bench, hitting a pair of 3's and totaling nine points.
Nebraska's Hannah Whitish had a career game with 28 points, 12 assists, five rebounds and three steals, cashing in six triples as the Huskers improved to 10-11 overall and evened their conference record at 5-5.
Purdue remains in a tie for fourth place with Northwestern, who fell to Minnesota on Thursday, and is a half-game ahead of No. 22 Michigan State. The Boilermakers head to East Lansing, Michigan on Sunday to face the Spartans, set to tip at 2 p.m. ET on the Big Ten Network.
- Purdue women drop second straight, fall to Nebraska 84-64
- Purdue drops third straight, falls to Nebraska 13-4
- Purdue softball drops Saturday doubleheader to Nebraska
- Purdue baseball drops third straight, falls to Nicholls State 4-2
- Purdue drops fifth straight, falls to Wisconsin 12-6
- No. 15 Purdue beats Nebraska 81-62 for 8th straight win
- Purdue women seek 4th-straight win, Visiting much improved Nebraska
- Purdue women's basketball holds on to beat Nebraska 76-68
- King scores career-high 24, Wisconsin beats Indiana 84-64
- Purdue volleyball falls to Nebraska at Mackey Arena