WEST LAFAYETTE, Ind (WLFI)— Purdue has named their new Diversity Provost. John gates an administrator from the University of Virginia will be making the Greater Lafayette area his new home.
While at Purdue Gates will also serve as a clinical professor in the Krannert School of Management.
One of Gates focuses will be to help improve the experience for all Boilermakers and to ensure that everyone feels included.
"I was nominated for the role," said Gates. "I got a call from the search firm asking me if I would be interested in being a candidate."
Gates is a native of Gary, Indiana. So the news that he'd be coming back home was bittersweet.
"My father and my family are there," said Gates. "My son and daughter in law and grandson are in Indianapolis. It puts me closer to both Gary and Indianapolis, but most importantly gives me a chance to make a difference in higher education and diversity."
While making a difference in higher education and diversity is a goal for Gates, he's already made some great strides in Virginia. Gates served as the inaugural associate dean responsible for diversity, inclusion and engagement strategy at the University of Virginia. He plans to continue making progress here in Greater Lafayette.
"I will be working on the faculty, staff, and student success," said Gates. "That includes issues around climate and culture, and performance."
Gates is expected to arrive on April 1st.
- Purdue will welcome new Diversity Provost
- Purdue's new provost tackles credit transfer issue
- Akridge named Purdue provost, executive VP for academic affairs and diversity
- Purdue's new provost working on data science initiative
- Students discuss diversity differences
- Purdue's Diversity Awareness Week puts focus on MLK legacy
- Lafayette artists paint portraits to show diversity
- People in West Lafayette gather to discuss diversity
- Celebrate Greater Lafayette's diversity at The 23rd annual Global Fest.
- First Ouibache Music Festival shows diversity of American music