WEST LAFAYETTE, Ind. (Purdue Sports) — The No. 14 Purdue volleyball team advanced to the NCAA Second Round for the 14th straight time with a straight-set victory against Wright State on Friday as the Boilermakers posted a .393 hitting % and only six errors on 84 attempts. Winning the match, 25-9, 25-22, 25-11, Purdue is set to face No. 16 Marquette at 7 p.m. ET Saturday at Holloway Gymnasium.
Purdue won all major statistical categories, outhitting Wright State .393 to .054, outserving the Raiders 6-0 in aces, outdigging them 49-36 and outblocking the visitors 12-4.
The Boilermaker offense was paced by a match-high 14 kills from junior Caitlyn Newton. Sophomore Grace Cleveland followed with eight kills, while redshirt senior Blake Mohler chipped in six. Redshirt sophomore Hayley Bush guided the effort with a match-best 33 assists.
At the net, Newton guided the Boilermakers with five blocks while sophomore libero Marissa Hornung took care of the back row with a match-high 15 digs.
HOW IT HAPPENENED
SET 1 (25-9) | Wright State put up the first point of the match with a kill from Megan Alders, but Purdue quickly took control with a 5-0 run. Hitting .542 as a team with four kills from Newton, the Boilermakers cruised to a 25-9 set victory.
SET 2 (25-22) | Locked in an NCAA Tournament worthy battle Purdue and Wright State traded points, tying the set nine times. Knotted at 16, Purdue took the advantage on a pair of kills from freshman Emma Ellis and Newton. The teams traded errors, before Purdue reached set point on a Cleveland kill. Wright State fought back with consecutive points to keep the frame alive, but Purdue closed the book on a Newton kill.
SET 3 (25-11) | Capitalizing on six Raider miscues, Purdue quickly jumped out to an 8-2 lead forcing Wright State to a time out. Back on the court, the teams traded small rallies until a Newton kill ignited a 6-0 run, giving Purdue a 22-9 advantage. The Boilermakers sealed their victory with back-to-back points from Newton on an ace and her 14th kill.
- Purdue volleyball sweeps Wright State to reach NCAA second round
- No. 12 Purdue volleyball sweeps ETSU in NCAA Tournament opener
- Purdue volleyball reacts to NCAA tournament draw
- Purdue volleyball wins second straight, sweeps Northwestern
- Purdue volleyball sweeps Michigan on senior day
- Purdue volleyball to face Eastern Tennessee State in NCAA opener
- The Wright stuff: Milton Wright follows Louisville connections to Purdue
- Purdue volleyball beats High Point, advances in NCAA Tournament
- Purdue volleyball falls to Utah in NCAA Tournament
- Purdue baseball falls to Houston in NCAA Regional first round