WEST LAFAYETTE, Ind. (Purdue Sports) — Purdue volleyball enters the 2019 campaign as the 17th-ranked team in the nation, released by the American Volleyball Coaches Association (AVCA) on Tuesday.
The Boilermakers are just over two weeks away from opening the season, as they are set to host Ohio on Sunday, Sept. 1 and Ball State on Sept. 3 at Holloway Gymnasium.
The 2019 poll marks the ninth-consecutive season that Purdue is voted one of the nation's top 25 volleyball programs. It is also the Boilermakers' 13th appearance on the preseason poll under the direction of head coach Dave Shondell.
For the upcoming season Purdue will match up against six Big Ten schools ranked in the AVCA Preseason Poll, including five in the top 10 with No. 2 Nebraska, No. 3 Minnesota, No. 5 Wisconsin, No. 6 Illinois and No. 8 Penn State. The Boilermakers are also set to square-off against No. 7 Kentucky and No. 25 Louisville in non-conference action.
The Boilermakers look to continue the momentum of a 2018 campaign that saw Purdue collect 24 wins, including a perfect 12-0 non-conference record, while advancing to the NCAA tournament for the 20th time in program history.
Purdue returns 10 letterwinners, including AVCA Third-Team All-American Blake Mohler as well as starting setter Hayley Bush and libero Marissa Hornung. The veterans are complimented by the addition of six freshmen in Maddy Chinn, Emma Ellis, Madeline Koch, Megan Renner, Maddie Schermerhorn and Ava Torrance. Together, the incoming group was ranked the 13th-best recruiting class in the nation by PrepVolleyball.
Fans will be able to get their first look of the 2019 Boilermaker squad on August 17 at Purdue's annual Boilermaker Tune-Up. The intrasquad scrimmage is set for 6 p.m. ET in an air conditioned Holloway Gymnasium and is open to the public with free admission.
- Purdue volleyball ranked 17th in AVCA preseason poll
- Purdue volleyball tabbed No. 23 in AVCA preseason poll
- Purdue basketball ranked No. 21 in coaches poll
- Purdue ranked 12th safest university in new poll
- Purdue volleyball stuns No. Minnesota
- Purdue volleyball defeats Oakland, 3-1
- Purdue ranks fourth in international student enrollment
- Purdue volleyball duo honored by Big Ten
- Purdue volleyball falls to Michigan 3-1
- Purdue volleyball reacts to NCAA tournament draw