WEST LAFAYETTE, Ind. (WLFI) - Purdue students and alumni can now get their hands on a new type of souvenir. The souvenir is one that comes with a bit of nostalgia.
For some, a day at the amusement park or fair wasn't complete until they got a special pressed penny. Purdue is bringing that nostalgic feel back with its own penny-press machine.
"There is an excitement of now we have it for Purdue,” said Co-founder Sedona Case.
Students in the Engineering Project in Community Service program created the press. Being able to apply subjects learned in class was a project highlight. "We put all those things that make it work together and added our own special touch. The LED lights and sound that you see are were all student programmed and designed,” said Casey.
The project took a year to complete. It was unveiled during Purdue's homecoming week for families to enjoy.
Getting your own pressed penny is easy. All you need is a penny and two quarters. Simply insert your coins, turn the wheel and the machine does the rest.
Users can select from four different designs commemorating Purdue's 150th anniversary. Designs include the Bell Tower, Neil Armstrong's moon footprint and even the Engineering Fountain.
"I want this to be something that people can take back with them even if they don't buy a shirt at the bookstore. At least they can have this penny as a pocket reminder or as a reminder of their time at Purdue,” said Casey.
- Purdue unveils new penny press machine as part of its 150th anniversary celebration
- Purdue preparing to celebrate 150th anniversary
- Purdue celebrates homecoming and its 150th anniversary
- Purdue unveils new ice cream flavor for 150th anniversary
- Purdue looks to future as 150th anniversary celebration wraps up
- Happy 150th Birthday, Purdue University
- Apple co-founder Steve Wozniak to visit Purdue as part of university's 150th anniversary
- Purdue history exhibit helps celebrate university's 150th birthday
- Purdue’s 150th anniversary finale begins with a promise to Indiana
- Local couple celebrates milestone anniversary