WEST LAFAYETTE, Ind. (WLFI) — Purdue University will put students in temporary housing for the start of another school year, according to Director of Admissions for Purdue Residences Mike Shettle. About 103 students, who did not meet the contract deadline with University Residences, have been assigned temporary housing.
July 11 was the date set for when Purdue would notify students, who signed a contract before May 5, of their housing assignments. Those who contracted May 6 or later may have been assigned temporary housing, with about 103 being assigned over the next few weeks as space becomes available due to cancellations.
Shettle said they expect well over 100 cancellations before the start of classes on Aug. 19. The students will be assigned as cancellations occur.
By the first week of August, Shettle said everyone will at least know what their assignment is, whether that is permanent or temporary. He expects all students in temporary housing to be relocated by early September.
For students in temporary housing at the start of the year, University Residences has leased beds in Salisbury Campus Apartments, Aspire, Blackbird Farms and The Cottages in West Lafayette, according to Shettle. In past years, students were put in temporary housing areas on campus.
The temporary housing problem dates back to 2015. As News 18 previously reported, more than 100 students were put in temporary housing for the start of the 2018-19 academic year.
Two new residence hall projects are in the works to alleviate the temporary housing issue. The construction of Third Street North and Meredith South Residence Halls will add approximately 1300 beds. Both projects are expected to be completed by next summer.
Purdue University does not require students to live in on-campus residence halls at any point during their college career. The university will house nearly 14,000 incoming and returning students in residence halls this upcoming year.
Purdue expects the incoming class of 2023 to be its second-largest in history.
- Purdue to start the school year again with students in temporary housing
- Incoming Purdue freshmen placed in temporary housing
- Purdue students camp out to potentially receive housing for the 2019 school year
- Finalists selected for Purdue student housing projects
- Temporary weekend road closure on State Street
- Hospitals beginning temporary restrictions for visitors
- Purdue will start regulating online writing guide
- 28th Purdue Jazz Festival showcases area high school students
- 104th annual Purdue Road School
- Purdue ranks fourth in international student enrollment