WEST LAFAYETTE, Ind. (WLFI) — The Purdue Football season is just a few weeks away, and if the first home game isn't exciting enough, fans have something else to look forward to at the opener.
Purdue President Mitch Daniels said the university will dedicate the Tyler Trent student gate at the first home game on Sept. 7. The university plans to unveil it about 30 minutes before the gates open.
Oh, and Sept. 7, 2019 would have been Tyler's 21st birthday.
Construction on the gate has been going on all summer on the east side of Ross-Ade Stadium. Gate E of the stadium will now be Gate T² "Tyler Trent Student Gate." It's the location where the world first met Tyler at homecoming in 2017.
Tyler died on New Years Day after a cancer battle that inspired the country.
Daniels said it will be a "significant event" and he hopes a lot of fans will show up for it.
"That's an important moment in Purdue history and Purdue Athletic history," said Daniels." We are going to commemorate it in the way it deserves."
Purdue opens the season on the road at Nevada on Aug. 30. The Boilermakers first home game is on Sept. 7th against Vanderbilt. Kickoff is at noon.
JUST IN: @purduemitch says the @theTylerTrent T² student gate will be dedicated at the Purdue Football home opener against Vanderbilt on Sept. 7. Says it will be a "significant event" about 30 minutes before gates open. @WLFI ���� pic.twitter.com/FntW0UwLpF
— Trevor Peters (@TrevorPetersTV) August 15, 2019
- Purdue to dedicate Tyler Trent gate at football home opener
- Purdue dedicates student gate to Tyler Trent
- Tyler Trent's Legacy
- Schedule for Tyler Trent's Purdue memorial service released
- Purdue University hosts candlelight vigil for Tyler Trent
- Purdue 'working on' campus memorial for Tyler Trent
- Purdue student begins 100 mile walk for Tyler Trent
- Purdue to announce Tyler Trent physical memorial Wednesday
- Corn maze design to honor Purdue's Tyler Trent
- Purdue creates Tyler Trent scholarship for students encountering adversity