WEST LAFAYETTE, Ind. (WLFI) — Five Purdue University students are back on campus with some caucus experience under their belt.
On Thursday, Jan. 30, they traveled to Iowa to work the democratic caucuses through a C-SPAN internship. Their tasks included traveling to various rallies, working the cameras and setting up interviews.
Andie Slomka is one student who attended, she’s a sophomore double majoring in political science and genetics. Up until this point most of her training has happened in the classroom.
She said there's something special about participating in-person versus reading about it or watching it on TV.
“There’s only so much you can learn in a classroom, you can read a ton of books, you can listen to lectures, you can watch videos, C-SPAN is very good about that with their archives so you can feel like you're there, but you're not actually there until you travel and interact with these people, you see so much more than a camera or a book or a lecture can capture,” said Slomka.
She said seeing the process first hand has given her a new perspective. One thing she found interesting was the varying demographics for each candidate rally.
“When we went to the Bernie rallies, especially the bigger Bernie rallies it was a lot of young people but when you went to like a Mayor Pete rally, it was sort of mixed,” said Slomka. “It was just very different for each one they all kind of had their different groups.”
Slomka said it was interesting seeing the support Iowa citizens bring to the caucuses.
“Iowans are so proud of this process and it really carries through the generations just because they’ve always been raised in this and it’s pretty cool to see, you don’t see that same passion everywhere,” said Slomka.
The C-SPAN internship brought students from the Brian Lamb School of Communication, Department of Political Science, the Honors College and the College of Science.
- Purdue student shares Iowa Caucus experience
- Purdue University students get hands-on experience in Iowa for democratic caucuses
- Veterans gain critical business experience at Purdue
- Experience a vintage aircraft flight at Purdue
- Some Purdue professors experience wave of harassment
- Community members cast votes at democratic caucus
- Experience the 84th annual Purdue Christmas Show this weekend
- Purdue Alumni give grandchildren the college experience at Grandparents University
- Jaden Ivey has 'great experience' at Purdue team camp
- DNC recommends rejecting Iowa and Nevada virtual caucus over security concerns