WEST LAFAYETTE, Ind. (Purdue Sports) — Purdue (11-29, 3-6 B1G) split its non-conference midweek doubleheader against Indiana State (18-18, 5-6 MVC), taking game one 8-6 and falling 3-2 in the finale. Redshirt freshman Sydney Bates picked up the win in game one and gave the Boilermakers a chance in game two but was unable to get the run support she needed to earn the victory.
The transfer out of Davie, Florida, threw 11.2 innings without allowing an earned run between the two games, striking out 12 Sycamores. She was given the start in game one and gave up just three unearned runs in 5.1 innings of work. She came out of the bullpen in the first inning of game two after Indiana State had jumped out to a 3-0 lead and shut down the Sycamores in her 6.1 innings. She struck out six batters in each appearance.
Jenny Behan continues to be a force at the plate as she had a pair of hits on the day with a home run, a walk, three runs scored and three runs batted in. Ryleigh Scott went 3-for-8 with a run and an RBI as well while Halle Hixenbaugh had a solid 3-for-6 day at the plate with a triple, a walk, an RBI and a run scored.
In game one, Alexa Binckes finished 2-for-3 with an RBI while Mallory Baker, Stephanie Ramsey, Siena Wagner and Lexi Huffman all registered a hit and played a factor on the scoreboard as well. Huffman matched Behan with a pair of RBI while Baker and Wagner each knocked in a run as well. Wagner, Ramsey, Maya Hughes and Savanna Harrison all scored for the Boilermakers.
In game two, Morgan Cavinder singled and scored on the triple by Halle Hixenbaugh. Baker and Ramsey each singled in the contest as well.
Purdue looks to its second Big Ten series away from Bittinger Stadium as Purdue heads to Lincoln, Nebraska, for a three-game series with the Cornhuskers. Due to Saturday's forecast, Purdue and Nebraska will play a doubleheader Friday beginning at 2 p.m. ET.
- Purdue splits with Indiana State
- Purdue wrestling splits duals in home-opener
- PURDUE POSTGAME SHOW: Indiana
- Purdue defeats Indiana 70-55
- HIGHLIGHTS: Big second half propels Purdue past Indiana State 94-72
- Purdue baseball outlasts Indiana State in pitcher's duel
- Purdue baseball drops midweek matchup to Indiana State 2-1
- Purdue student, Miss Benton County wins Indiana State Fair Queen
- Gap and Old Navy are splitting up
- Purdue football team honored at Indiana Statehouse