WEST LAFAYETTE, Ind. — Purdue (9-27, 2-5 B1G) began its series against Northwestern (22-12, 5-4 B1G) with a bang as the Boilermakers defeated the Wildcats 14-6 in six innings. Six different Boilermakers knocked in a run with seven RBI coming from the bottom four hitters in the lineup.
Jenny Behan elevated her batting average to .293 on the season with a 3-for-4 day at the plate. The junior transfer finished the game with a single, two doubles, four runs batted in and a pair of runs scored. All four of her RBI came in the first inning as she hit twice, doubling in her first at-bat to score Mallory Baker and Ryleigh Scott, then singled with two outs later in the inning to drive in Baker and Lexi Huffman. The base knock capped off a nine-run first inning for the Boilermakers. Her leadoff double in the sixth set up one of the three runs that scored in the inning to give Purdue the six-inning win.
Middle infielders Stephanie Ramsey and Halle Hixenbaugh were the other Boilermakers to finish with multiple hits as they combined for four hits, three runs scored and two RBI. Ramsey, Siena Wagner and Emily Kenny all finished with two RBI in the bottom of the order. Wagner belted her first career home run in the second inning to give Purdue an 11-0 advantage, and Kenny provided the dagger in the sixth with a two-run double to earn Purdue the walk-off win.
Kaitlynn Moody began the game with three scoreless frames until the Wildcats scored two unearned runs in the fourth. Northwestern managed to follow with four runs in the fifth inning but Sydney Bates was able to come in and stop the bleeding as she delivered 1.1 innings without giving up a run.
Game two of the series between Purdue and Northwestern is set for Saturday at 3 p.m. ET at Bittinger Stadium.
- Purdue softball tops Northwestern 14-6
- Purdue softball beats Northwestern to take series
- Purdue set for Northwestern series
- Purdue tops Northwestern 9-7, takes Big Ten opening series
- Purdue tops Northwestern 58-44 in Big Ten opener
- 5-run first inning propels Northwestern over Purdue
- Purdue volleyball wins second straight, sweeps Northwestern
- Purdue uses three-run sixth to top Northwestern in Big Ten opener
- Bryant hits 3 HRs as Cubs punish Nats’ bullpen in 14-6 win
- Indiana tops Northwestern 34-3, improves to 7-2 in 2019