BOCA RATON, Fla. (Purdue Sports) — The Purdue softball team concluded its opening weekend with an undefeated 5-0 record, after securing a 9-0 victory in the final appearance at the FAU First Pitch Classic.
Sydney Bates earned the victory, pitching six innings to move to a 3-0 record. The Boilermaker produced six strikeouts on the day.
The FAU shutout began with two runs in the third inning, followed by another three in the fifth and four insurance goals in the top of the seventh.
Purdue's perfect start marks the best record to begin the season since 2012. Among the conference, Purdue is one of three undefeated teams in the Big Ten and ties with Michigan as the only programs with five wins on the season.
At the plate, newcomer Cora Bassett concluded the weekend with two runs and one RBI, which was earned on a double. Meanwhile, sophomore Rachel Becker tied Bassett with two runs. On the field, first baseman Kenzie Bolin secured a team-leading six putouts, while catcher Rachel Krzysko followed close with four and shortstop Becker with three.
HIGHLIGHTS AT FAU
Top of the 3rd
Skye Webb notched a double with Becker on first and Becca Jones on second, sending both Becker and Jones home.
Top of the 5th
With two outs against the Boilermakers, a pair of back-to-back doubles and a single a put Purdue up 5-0 over the Owls. First, freshman Cora Bassett secured an RBI with a double to left center, sending Rachel Becker home. Next, Chase sent the ball to right center, allowing Bassett to score.
Top of the 7th
Boilermakers notched four runs. With Lianna Mullins up to bat with runners on second and third, Mullins singled, allowing Webb to score. Next, Molly Meenan recorded an RBI on a throwing error by the FAU pitcher, when Bassett scored on the play. Mo Wimpee registered her first RBI as a Boilermaker, scoring pinch runner Delaney Bowen. Finally, Meenan rounded out the Purdue runs with a singled from Kaeley Hallada.
- Purdue softball sweeps FAU First Pitch Classic, improves to 5-0
- Purdue softball completes sweep of Iowa to improve tournament seed
- Fraley, Harrison cruise past Lafayette Jeff 5-0
- Hamels pitches 7 innings, Cubs complete sweep with 6-0 win
- Purdue softball tops Northwestern 14-6
- Purdue basketball to play in Charleston Classic
- Montgomery, Bote lead Cubs to 5-0 victory over Royals
- Indians blank White Sox 5-0 in rain-shortened game
- Purdue baseball sweeps season-opening double-header
- Purdue football sweeps Big Ten weekly awards