URBANA, Ill. (Purdue Sports) — A combined 20 runs on 22 hits by Purdue and Illinois made it an interesting affair between Big Ten foes, but the Illini topped the Boilermakers, 11-9, in Game 2 at Eichelberger Field.
With the contest, Illinois improves to 30-22 overall and 8-14 in conference as Purdue drops to 30-25 overall and 6-16 in the Big Ten.
Purdue got off to a scorching start in the top of the first, when senior Lexi Huffman delivered a three-run homer, which scored fellow seniors Mallory Baker and Jenny Behan. It marked the fifth homer of the year for the senior and gave the Boilermakers an early 3-0 lead. Facing two outs, junior Madison Douglass and freshman Kasey Wilhoit got aboard with back-to-back singles, while freshman Kendall Chase came through with a two-RBI single. Freshman Kaeley Hallada singled to keep Purdue at the plate, and fellow classmate Rachel Becker topped off the inning with an RBI single.
With Purdue leading 6-0, the Illini responded with a pair of RBI singles in the bottom of the second, cutting Purdue's lead to four at 6-2.
Neither team was able to bring a run across in the next two innings, until Purdue broke the silence with a lead-off dinger by Wilhoit in the top of the fifth.
Illinois kept the runs going in the bottom of the frame as the Illini scored nine on eight hits and one error for an 11-7 Illinois advantage.
The Boilermakers battled back with two more runs in the top of the seventh, but were unable to find the equalizer.
Overall, Purder registered 10 hits to Illinois' 12, with Baker, Wilhoit and Chase leading the Boilermakers with two hits apiece.
In the circle, senior Maddie Damon (1-5) took the loss, allowing two runs on two hits in a relief effort. Purdue also saw action from senior Kaitlynn Moody, redshirt sophomore Sydney Bates and freshman Brenna Smith.
The Boilermakers and the Illini conclude the series with a 1 p.m. ET finale on Sunday. The contest is set to broadcast on BTN2go.
- Purdue softball drops eighth straight in 11-9 loss at Illinois
- Purdue softball concludes regular season with 12-4 loss at Illinois
- Purdue softball swept for second straight weekend
- Purdue softball drops doubleheader with IU
- Purdue softball drops Saturday doubleheader to Nebraska
- Purdue drops third straight game in 74-66 loss at No. 22 Michigan State
- Purdue baseball drops third straight, falls to Nicholls State 4-2
- Purdue women drop second straight, fall to Nebraska 84-64
- Purdue drops third straight, falls to Nebraska 13-4
- Purdue drops fifth straight, falls to Wisconsin 12-6