URBANA, Ill. (Purdue Sports) — The Purdue softball softball team dropped its regular season finale to Illinois,12-4, in five innings on Sunday afternoon at Eichelberger Field.
The Boilermakers finish the 2019 regular season with a 30-26 overall record and are currently in eleventh place with a 6-17 Big Ten mark.
Purdue and Illinois, both collected two-run long balls in the opening frame to tie the game, 2-2. In the Boilermaker half of the stanza, senior Mallory Baker drew a walk and was brought home by a home run by fellow senior Jenny Behan. The hit marked Behan's 13th home run of the season, which ranks second in Purdue program history for most home runs in a season. She is only one home run away from tying Katie Mitchell's program best 14 dingers set in 2007.
In the home half of the first, the Illini mirrored the Boilermakers with a walk and a home run to knot the score.
The Boilermakers took advantage of a pair of Illini miscues to bring across two more runs in the top of the third, before Illinois stormed past Purdue with four runs on three hits in the bottom of the stanza.
Leading 6-4, Illinois stayed hot for six more runs across the next two innings, including a three-run homer in the bottom of the fifth to secure a 12-4 five-inning victory.
The Boilermakers now turn their focus to the 2019 Big Ten Tournament, hosted by Indiana University, May 9-11 at Andy Mohr Field. Seeding and game times for the tournament are to be determined.
- Purdue softball concludes regular season with 12-4 loss at Illinois
- Purdue volleyball closes out regular season with loss at Illinois
- Purdue softball drops eighth straight in 11-9 loss at Illinois
- Colts announce 2018 regular season schedule
- Purdue softball no-hit in loss to Michigan
- Purdue softball wins home-opener 6-3 over Illinois
- Purdue concludes audit of student athletes following national admissions scandal
- Purdue WBB season ends with loss to Indiana in WNIT
- Purdue volleyball ends season with loss to No. 10 Kentucky
- Purdue rolls over Illinois 46-7