MADISON, Wis. (Purdue Sports) — Purdue's (16-40, 7-16 B1G) season comes to a close with a first-round loss to Wisconsin (28-20, 11-9 B1G) in the Big Ten Tournament. The Badgers posted eight runs while holding the Boilermakers to two hits in the 8-0 five-inning loss.
Wisconsin set the tone early with a three-run two-out rally in the first inning. Sydney Bates did a nice job of earning two quick outs to begin the frame but the Badgers took advantage of a pair of walks, knocking in their three runs on a pair of doubles.
After a quick second inning in which Bates retired two of the three outs recorded by strikeout, Wisconsin blew the game open in the third inning, tagging Bates and Giana Lopez for five runs.
Maddie Damon managed to hold off the Badgers through 1.2 innings of work, allowing just two hits and a walk. However, Purdue's bats weren't able to generate anything offensively to keep the Boilermakers in the ballgame.
Emily Kenny and Kaylah Hampton each registered two-out hits in the contest but Purdue was unable to anything with them once they reached base.
Along with the pair of singles, Jenny Behan was hit by a pitch, giving Purdue just three baserunners in the game.
Purdue finishes the regular season with its sixth-consecutive conference tournament appearance. The meeting with Wisconsin marks the second tournament appearance in as many seasons under head coach Boo De Oliveira.
- Purdue softball bounced by Wisconsin in Big Ten Tourney
- Purdue softball trio honored by Big Ten
- Purdue softball upsets Rutgers, advances in Big Ten Tournament
- Purdue softball tops Iowa 3-2 in Big Ten opener
- Purdue baseball takes 2-seed into Big Ten tourney, set to play Ohio State
- Big Ten Tourney presents opportunity for Purdue baseball to boost resume
- Purdue at Big Ten Media Days
- Purdue volleyball duo honored by Big Ten
- Purdue volleyball trio garners Big Ten awards
- Purdue women's basketball gets Big Ten schedule