PISCATAWAY, N.J. (Purdue Sports) — The No. 8-seeded Purdue women's soccer team (8-9-3, 3-6-2) was edged out, 2-0 by No. 4 Penn State (13-6-1, 8-3-0 B1G) in the Big Ten Women's Soccer tournament.
The Boilermakers bow out of the tournament after securing the first semifinals appearance in 11 years and the second tournament appearance in three years.
Despite a scoreless first half, the difference-maker came in the 62nd minute by Big Ten Freshman of the Year Ally Schlegel. Meanwhile the insurance goal was notched on a penalty kick (caused by a Boilermaker handball in the box).
In a defensive first half, sophomore keeper Marisa Bova secured three critical saves. After playing every minute of the 2019 season, the Hartland, Wisconsin, native stands with 1861 minutes on the field, the sixth-most by a Purdue goalkeeper in a single season and the most since Jenny Bradfisch in 2008.
Sitting on the bubble for the NCAA tournament with an RPI of 61, Purdue will await its NCAA postseason fate. The NCAA selection show will air at 4:30 p.m. ET on Monday, Nov. 11 on ncaa.com.
Bova registered the first save of the game on a low shot to the center of the goal.
Griffith intercepted a Nittany Lion pass and dribbled the ball up the field. With three defenders between her and the goal, the redshirt-sophomore cut around the first and fired a shot from the top of the 18. The shot went just wide of the left post.
Bova made a diving save as Penn State flicked off a one-touch shot from close-range. Bova grabbed the ball out of the air as she dived to the right for the stop.
On a Penn State corner kick, Bova dropped to the ground, stopping a close-range attempt to the center of the goal.
Bova notched her fourth save of the game on a shot to the bottom right of the goal.
Penn State scored for the 1-0 lead.
A handball is called in the Purdue box after a Nittany Lion fired a shot that hit a Purdue defender a foot away. Penn State converted on the PK to take the 2-0 lead.
Teagan Jones sent a low shot on-frame to force a save.
- Purdue soccer falls to Penn State in Big Ten tournament semifinal
- Purdue baseball opens Big Ten play with 3-2 over Penn State
- Purdue soccer tops Maryland, qualifies for first Big Ten Tournament since 2008
- Purdue women's soccer upsets top-seeded Wisconsin in Big Ten tournament
- Highlights & Postgame: Purdue beats Rutgers, advances in Big Ten tournament
- Postgame Coverage: Michigan beats Purdue for Big Ten tournament title
- Whilby, Purdue top Illinois in Big Ten tournament opener
- Purdue knocks off Nebraska 75-71, advances in Big Ten tournament
- Purdue softball upsets Rutgers, advances in Big Ten Tournament
- Purdue ousted by Minnesota in Big Ten Tournament