ANN ARBOR, Mich. (Purdue Sports) — On a rainy night, the Purdue women's soccer team (6-3-1, 2-1-0 B1G) fell to RV/22 Michigan (8-2-0, 3-0-0 B1G) with a score of 2-1.
After shutting out the last three opponents, the Boilermakers suffered their first conference loss at the hands of the Big Ten leader. In the match, freshman Leanna Rebimbas led the team with four shots while Marisa Bova produced four saves.
Michigan scored 49 seconds into the game from the top of the box.
Bova recorded a trio of saves within the next three minutes, including a diving save and a punch-out as she was fighting to get back into position.
Leanna Rebimbas registered the first close call for Purdue after a shot lands just left of the post.
Rebimbas set up another great opportunity, sending a sly pass to her right for an unguarded Hannah Melchiorre to receive in the Michigan box. Melchiorre takes a hard, low shot, but the keeper made the save.
Michigan draws a foul 22 yards out from the goal. On the kick, a Wolverine snuck behind the defense to score on a shot to the low far post.
Ena Sabangic teared down the field on a one-on-one attack. As Sabanagic earned the advantage after entering the Michigan box, she went down and Michigan earned a goal kick. Sabanagic and Michigan fans were surprised no penalty kick was called.
With the Boilermakers knocking on Michigan's door, Julia Ware sent a cross into the box where Ena Sabanagic crashed the net with a defender in-tow. As Sabangic attempted a shot, the Wolverine defender connected with the ball and an own-goal was scored to put Purdue on the board, 2-1.
The Boilermakers will continue its first Big Ten road series on Sunday, when Purdue takes on Michigan State at 1 p.m. ET in East Lansing, Michigan.
- Purdue soccer falls to No. 22 Michigan, 2-1
- Purdue rally falls short in 2-1 loss to Northwestern
- Purdue softball falls to Michigan, 11-1
- Purdue volleyball falls to Michigan 3-1
- Purdue women's soccer plays to draw with Michigan State
- Purdue to face Westerm Michigan
- Highlights: Purdue WBB falls to Michigan State on Senior Day
- Purdue baseball drops midweek matchup to Indiana State 2-1
- Wilhoit, Purdue claim series with 2-1 win over Iowa
- Purdue drops third straight game in 74-66 loss at No. 22 Michigan State