WEST LAFAYETTE, Ind. (Purdue Sports) — The Boilermaker softball team powered its ways to a 5-4 win over Purdue Fort Wayne as seniors Jenny Behan and Lexi Huffman each homered on Wednesday night at Bittinger Stadium.
With the victory, Purdue pushed to a four-game winning streak at home and a 25-13 record overall.
Junior Madison Douglass gave the Boilermakers an early lead in the midweek match up as senior Mallory Baker drew a walk and then came home on a sacrifice fly ball to right field by the junior.
The Dons responded in the top of the third with four runs on three hits, including a triple down the right field line by Lacey Wilzbacher.
The Boilermakers battled to get two runs back in the bottom of the frame with a pair of solo home runs from Behan and Huffman, cutting Purdue Fort Wayne's edge to a single run at 4-3.
The visiting squad would maintain its single-run lead until the bottom of the seventh, when Purdue drew a pair of bases-loaded walks to end the game.
Freshman Brenna Smith earned the start, pitching 2.2 innings. Redshirt sophomore Sydney Bates (10-5) pitched the remaining 4.2 innings, earning the win, while only relinquishing a single run on three hits. Both Smith and Bates struck out four batters apiece.
The Dons outhit Purdue, 6-5, with the Boilermakers committing the only error of the game. The contest saw five different Boilermakers record a hit, while Baker paced Purdue with two runs.
Purdue returns to the diamond this weekend, April 5-7, for a Big Ten series against Penn State. Friday's game will be a Strikeout Cancer game to benefit the Riley Children's Hospital.
- Purdue rallies past Purdue Fort Wayne on walk-off walk
- Harris, Purdue crush Purdue Fort Wayne 78-44
- Purdue dispatches Purdue Fort Wayne 11-2
- Emily Kenny lifts Purdue softball past Fort Wayne
- Purdue hosts 'Out of the Darkness Walk'
- IPFW officially becomes Purdue University Fort Wayne
- Harris, Purdue rally past Harvard in home opener
- Purdue volleyball rallies past Lipscomb, wins LUV Invite
- Notre Dame stuns Purdue baseball on walk-off homer
- Purdue walk-on quarterback runs for student government president