WEST LAFAYETTE, Ind. (WLFI) — Purdue's Board of Trustees approved an extension Tuesday morning to President Mitch Daniels' employment agreement allowing the president to serve in the role until such time either party gives one year's notice.
"President Daniels has performed so outstandingly that we seek to retain his leadership,” said Tom Spurgeon, chair of the trustees’ Compensation Committee.
Spurgeon cited Daniels' initiatives on access and affordability, investments in strategic university priorities, the launch of the State Street redevelopment and Discovery Park District, and the recent startup of Purdue University Global as examples of his leadership in key areas.
“Mitch is enhancing the reputation of Purdue nationally and worldwide through leadership and a steady stream of successful initiatives and innovations,” said Mike Berghoff, chair of the Board of Trustees. “We have set high goals for him, and every year he not only meets our expectations but exceeds them. That kind of effort and leadership deserves to be rewarded and continued.”
Daniels said, “This assignment brings one into daily contact with brilliant, innovative faculty and some of the most serious, purposeful students anywhere. Anyone would feel fortunate to serve this great institution, and I’m deeply gratified that my performance is viewed as worthy of a longer tenure.”
Daniels' initial employment agreement was extended by two years in 2015.
Daniels became the 12th president of Purdue University in January 2013, at the end of his second term as Governor of the State of Indiana.
- Purdue president's contract extended
- Purdue announces contract extension for Jeff Brohm
- Larkin helps Northwestern extend streak with win at Purdue
- VeoRide leaves Purdue after University signs exclusivity contract with Zagster
- Purdue, Matt Painter agree on 2-year contract extension
- HIGHLIGHTS: Purdue extends winning streak to 11 with victory over Nebraska
- 2017 'Most Outstanding Player' looks to extend Purdue's NFL Draft streak
- Purdue rallies past Ball State, extends win streak to 13 games
- President Mitch Daniels releases open letter to Purdue
- Purdue walk-on quarterback runs for student government president