WEST LAFAYETTE, Ind. (WLFI) — In less than 24 hours, 46 Purdue teams will race the Grand Prix for a Grand Prize. This year marks the 62nd anniversary.
It takes lots of preparation, lots of practices and a passion for Purdue. This race has become a tradition, with memories students carry beyond the event.
“This is where the race happens every year,” said Co-Director of Purdue Grand Prix Thomas Letsinger. “We have practices out here every year. As you can see we're all set up we're getting the jumbotron set up as well.”
Preparation for the Grand Prix track located off McCormick Road is underway. Letsinger said it has been a long time coming.
“We've been prepping all year for it since this time last year we have registration open and for teams, there's two technical inspections and eleven practices as well,” said Letsinger.
Preparation and practice for the race are important but the Grand Prix Foundation motto is all about students helping students.
“We do have a couple of advisors, but we're all students. We're out here just to grow this experience and tradition,” said Letsinger. “Purdue is all about nostalgia and tradition and being able to come out here and everybody have that passion to race and put all that time and effort into it, it's just something really amazing.”
Racers include sororities, fraternities, and experienced racers and for the majority, it'll be their first race.
“We have all these rookies coming in, being able to experience this tradition, being able to help us in years coming,” said Letsinger.
While racers keep traditions going so do the spectators. Admission is $10 presale and $15 at the door, that money goes right back to students.
“It goes into our foundation portion of it but the majority of it goes out to scholarships that we hand out each year,” said Letsinger.
They handed 13 scholarship to students who applied. You can get tickets for the event here.
- Purdue prepares for 62nd annual Grand Prix
- Brenden Johnson wins 62nd Purdue Grand Prix
- More than 2,500 attended Purdue’s 62nd annual Grand Prix
- Grand Prix weekend kicks off at Purdue
- Pre-sale tickets for Purdue Grand Prix now available
- Jared Thomas wins 61st Purdue Grand Prix despite kart issues
- Purdue campus bars brace for Grand Prix weekend
- Purdue bars checked for safety during Grand Prix weekend
- Campus bars and City of West Lafayette prepare for Grand Prix Weekend
- Police take 200+ calls during Grand Prix weekend