A Purdue graduate is making a name for himself over at NASA. Mark Geyer has been named the next director of the Johnson Space Center in Houston.
As Johnson’s center director, he’ll lead one of NASA’s largest installations, which has about 10,000 civil service and contractor employees - including those at White Sands Test Facility in Las Cruces, New Mexico - and oversee a broad range of human spaceflight activities.
“Mark brings with him almost three decades of distinguished NASA leadership experience at the program, center and headquarters levels – he’s managed and he’s worked his way through the ranks and knows what it’s going to take to get our astronauts back to the Moon and on to Mars. Johnson has been NASA’s home base for astronauts and mission control throughout our history, and Mark is eminently qualified to carry on this historic legacy,” said NASA Administrator Jim Bridenstine. “I also want to thank Ellen for her years of service to America and this agency. Her legacy and contributions to this center and to NASA are timeless. She will be missed.”
Born in Indianapolis, Geyer earned his Bachelor of Science degree in Aeronautics Engineering as well as his Master of Science degree in Aeronautics from Purdue University in Indiana. Geyer is the recipient of the NASA Distinguished Service Medal, Meritorious Executive Rank Award and the Distinguished Executive Rank Award.
“It’s an honor to be appointed to lead the men and women of this proud center,” Geyer said. “The Johnson Space Center has unique capabilities that are critical to NASA’s ability to execute our mission to take humans farther into the solar system, and I look forward to working with each and every one of you on the ambitious tasks ahead.”
He will step into the new role when the current Center Director, Ellen Ochoa, retires after 30 years at the agency on May 25.
- Purdue grad named director of the Johnson Space Center.
- Harrison, Purdue grad Josh Lindblom named Korean All-Star
- Purdue grad wins World Food Prize
- Brenden Johnson wins 62nd Purdue Grand Prix
- Purdue grad students head out for Antarctic research expedition
- McCutcheon, Purdue grad Nick Wittgren traded to Indians
- High Point grad transfer Jahaad Proctor commits to Purdue
- Purdue officially adds High Point grad transfer Jahaad Proctor
- Purdue's 23rd astronaut heads to space Sunday
- Purdue Graduate Launches to Space Wednesday