INDIANAPOLIS, Ind. (Purdue Sports) — The Purdue women's basketball team exited the 2019 Big Ten Tournament on Friday with a 64-49 loss to third-seeded Rutgers in the quarterfinals at Bankers Life Arena. Sophomore Tamara Farquhar paced the Boilermakers with her second career double-double, while classmate Karissa McLaughlin had 11 points and junior Ae'Rianna Harris totaled 10 points, nine rebounds and three blocked shots.
Farquhar finished with a team-high 12 points and 11 rebounds, including six on the offensive end, and added a blocked shot and a steal. McLaughlin tied Purdue's single-season 3-point field goal record, hitting two triples Friday to match Katie Gearlds' total of 88 from the 2006-07 season, and Harris captured Purdue's career blocks title, pushing her three-year total to 284 rejections.
Junior Dominque Oden and freshman Kayana Traylor posted eight points apiece, as Oden added four assists, four rebounds and two steals, while Traylor chipped in three assists and three steals.
The two teams traded runs over the first 30 minutes as Rutgers would build a small lead and the Boilermakers would erase it on several occasions. Things appeared to be swinging in Purdue's favor at the end of the third as Harris sparked an 8-1 run to make it 42-41 with just seconds left in the quarter, but the Scarlet Knights banked in a 3 at the buzzer to push the lead back to four and recapture the momentum.
The triple sparked an 11-0 Rutgers run and Purdue missed its first nine shots of the final quarter as the Scarlet Knights pulled away. The Boilermakers shot just 26.8 percent from the field, including a 4-for-23 clip from 3-point range and 15-of-22 at the free throw line.
Rutgers had two players in double figures as Stasha Carey had 17 points and nine rebounds, while Arella Guirantes scored 15 points. The Scarlet Knights advance to face No. 2 seed Iowa in tomorrow's semifinals.
- Purdue runs out of gas, falls to Rutgers 64-49 in Big Ten quarterfinals
- No. 8 Purdue looks to avoid upset to Rutgers in Big Ten quarterfinal matchup
- Purdue softball upsets Rutgers, advances in Big Ten Tournament
- Highlights & Postgame: Purdue beats Rutgers, advances in Big Ten tournament
- Scaife has 19, winner as Rutgers women top Purdue in Big Ten
- Purdue falls short in Big Ten championship, 6-4 to Minnesota
- Purdue volleyball duo honored by Big Ten
- Purdue volleyball trio garners Big Ten awards
- Purdue women's basketball gets Big Ten schedule
- Purdue football sweeps Big Ten weekly awards