WEST LAFAYETTE, Ind. (WLFI)- School's out, or almost out for many, and summer is here. However, Purdue is thinking about fall.
The university is preparing for the thousands of new boilermakers that will be on campus.
For the class of 2023, Purdue President Mitch Daniels said the university aimed for 8,000 students and is going to hit that goal.
Daniels said it appears the university will surpass that goal and probably have even more students for the incoming class, but it won't be as large as 2018's incoming class.
The class of 2022 broke the school's record with 8,300 students, which makes the class of 2023 the second largest class in school history.
Daniels said the total undergraduate student population will continue to grow. He said not many other universities can say the same.
"That's a positive thing. That's very different than the experience, unfortunately, of many colleges who are starting to report in elsewhere," Daniels said.
With another large class of first-year students, the university is preparing to avoid the same problems.
In regards to housing, Daniels said Purdue has plenty of room for the students. In fact, he said there's a higher percentage of students asking to live on campus.
"So more students and greater interest in on-campus living, putting some pressure on the system, but we've been adding supply."
Daniels said the university is in a lot better shape and is very prepared for the class of 2023.
You may remember Purdue placed 107 students in temporary housing in makeshift dorms in the fall of 2018.
Daniels said the university will utilize Purdue Village for housing some of the incoming class, but much less than last year.
- Purdue expects class of 2023 to be university's second-largest in history
- Purdue to open 2023 season against Fresno State
- Largest-ever Purdue class enrolled for Fall 2018
- Purdue history exhibit helps celebrate university's 150th birthday
- Purdue scrambles to hire on more staff, housing and food services due to largest incoming class
- Purdue signs top-25 recruiting class
- Purdue Archives offers look into Purdue's history
- Purdue officially launches Purdue University Global
- Purdue University's Horticulture Park reopens
- Summer construction at Purdue University