WEST LAFAYETTE, Ind. (WLFI) - Purdue University is expected to add two new dorms to the West Lafayette campus. The university is going about the project in a non-traditional way.
Purdue has been aggressively trying to tackle its overcrowding issue.
"Since the 1990s, we've had record numbers of retention, which means more and more students want to continue to live at Purdue. It's a good thing for us, but we can't always gauge when that's going to continue to go up and it has," said Don Petersen, Managing Director of Capital Program Management.
Earlier this month, the university issued a Request for Proposals to develop, design, build, finance and maintain two new dorms under a public-private partnership.
"This is done in our competitive tension basically where the two teams that we're down to can basically compete back and forth on their own design and innovation and things like that versus just having one team," said Petersen.
The "Third Street North" site would be located north of the Black Cultural Center and west of North Russell Street. The "Meredith South" site would be right next to Meredith Residence Hall.
"The residence hall at Fourth and Russell will be approximately 500 beds and the residence hall south of Meredith will be approximately 600 beds," said Petersen.
Peterson said the six-story buildings will solve the overcrowding issue the university is facing.
"Even right now, we're sending students off campus and things like that, so it kind of gets us to baseline where we're basically even with what we have for our current demand," said Petersen.
Design and construction teams must submit proposals in April. The university will then evaluate the submissions and determine the preferred proposal.
The goal is to have the new residence halls available for the 2020-2021 academic year.
- Purdue expected to add two new dorms to help with overcrowding
- Purdue University completes proposal entry process for new dorms
- Purdue adds two to incoming class
- Purdue women add threeto 2018-19 roster
- Overcrowding at Almost Home Humane Society
- North Carolina student found dead in dorm room
- Renovations set at Indiana University dorms plagued by mold
- Purdue adds 130 dB train horn to Ross-Ade Stadium
- Purdue officially adds High Point grad transfer Jahaad Proctor
- Purdue adds wide receiver Marcellus Moore to 2020 class