WEST LAFAYETTE, Ind. (Purdue Sports) — The Purdue softball team (30-22, 6-13 Big Ten) dropped the second game of a three-game series against the Wisconsin Badgers (35-10, 12-7 Big Ten), 12-6, Saturday afternoon at Bittinger Stadium.
Senior Mallory Baker became the fourth Boilermaker to reach 45 hits this season as she went 3-for-3 on the day.
Wisconsin started off quick, scoring two runs in the first inning off of a wild pitch and a passed ball.
Back-to-back RBI doubles pushed across three more runs for the Badgers in the top of the third, before Purdue responded in the bottom of the frame.
Freshman Rachel Becker led off the Boilermaker half of the third with a single to right field and was brought home on an RBI double by Baker. Seniors Jenny Behan and Lexi Huffman followed with a walk and a single to left field, respectively, while redshirt sophomore Sydney Bates connected for an RBI single to left field to bring around Behan.
Wisconsin added to its lead with five runs in the next two innings. The Badgers' offense was highlighted by a grand slam in the top of the fifth.
Trailing 10-2, Purdue took back a run with a sacrifice fly by junior Madison Douglass in the bottom of the fifth, but a third home run from the Badgers put Wisconsin up 12-3 in the top of the sixth.
Relentless, the Boilermakers loaded the bases in the bottom of the sixth with a trio of singles from freshman Kendall Chase, Becker and Baker. A fielder's choice and a Huffman double capitalized for three runs, cutting Wisconsin's edge in half.
Chase stayed hot at the plate for one more hit in the bottom of the seventh, but the Boilermakers would not find the equalizer.
Senior Kaitlynn Moody (11-9) took the loss after allowing five runs on five hits in 2.2 innings of work. Bates (5 R, 4 K, 2.0 IP), freshman Brenna Smith (0.1 IP) and senior Maddie Damon (2 R, 2 K, 2.0 IP) also saw action.
The Boilermakers conclude their series against Wisconsin, at noon ET on Sunday. Following the conclusion of the game, Purdue will recognize seniors Mallory Baker, Jenny Behan, Maddie Damon, Lexi Huffman and Kaitlynn Moody on the field.
- Purdue drops fifth straight, falls to Wisconsin 12-6
- Purdue women drop second straight, fall to Nebraska 84-64
- Purdue drops third straight, falls to Nebraska 13-4
- Purdue baseball drops third straight, falls to Nicholls State 4-2
- Purdue’s rally falls short against Wisconsin
- Purdue softball drops eighth straight in 11-9 loss at Illinois
- No. 16 Purdue falls to No. 5 Wisconsin
- Purdue women rally late, fall at Wisconsin 76-69
- Purdue softball swept for second straight weekend
- Purdue drops third straight game in 74-66 loss at No. 22 Michigan State