WEST LAFAYETTE, Ind. (Purdue Sports) — The Big Ten Conference announced the matchups for the 2019 Big Ten/ACC Challenge on Tuesday, sending the Purdue women's basketball team to face Virginia Tech in Blacksburg, Virginia on Thursday, Dec. 5. It will be just the second all-time meeting between the Boilermakers and Hokies, which first met in the second round of the 2003 NCAA Tournament.
The game marks the third road game added to the Boilermakers' 2019-20 non-conference schedule, also slated to head to Chattanooga on Nov. 14 and South Carolina on Dec. 15. Purdue is 3-10 all-time in the annual conference clash, but has won in two of the last three seasons with wins at Pittsburgh in 2016 and over Miami in Mackey Arena in 2018.
Purdue won the first-ever meeting against Virginia Tech as the 10th-ranked and No. 2 seed Boilermakers knocked off the No. 7 seed Hokies in Mackey Arena 80-62 to advance to the Sweet 16. Senior Erika Valek paced the Boilermakers with 24 points and six rebounds while All-American Shereka Wright flirted with a triple-double as she finished with nine points, eight rebounds, seven assists and four steals.
The Hokies finished 22-12 in 2018-19, including a 6-10 ACC record, and advanced to the third round of the WNIT with wins over Furman and VCU. They won their 2018 ACC/Big Ten matchup, defeating Rutgers 67-51 at Cassell Coliseum, and also topped Big Ten opponent Ohio State at the West Palm Invitational 81-73. Virginia Tech graduated its top two scorers from last year's team in Taylor Emery and Regan Magarity, but return one of the nation's top 3-point shooters in rising sophomore Dara Mabrey.
- Purdue draws Virginia Tech in Big Ten/ACC Challenge
- Purdue draws Florida State in ACC/Big Ten Challenge
- Purdue gets rematch with Virginia in Big Ten/ACC Challenge
- Purdue women to host Miami in ACC/Big Ten Challenge
- Purdue baseball tops Virginia Tech 12-5
- Purdue volleyball duo honored by Big Ten
- Purdue volleyball trio garners Big Ten awards
- Purdue women's basketball gets Big Ten schedule
- Purdue football sweeps Big Ten weekly awards
- Purdue softball trio honored by Big Ten