WEST LAFAYETTE, Ind. (Purdue Sports) — Head coach Dave Shondell collected his 350th Purdue victory as the No.17 Boilermakers swept Ball State at Holloway Gymnasium on Tuesday night.
Shondell is only Purdue volleyball's second head coach to reach the milestone. He joins Purdue volleyball's inaugural head coach Carol Dewey, who recorded 469 victories during her time with the Boilermakers.
Outside hitters Grace Cleveland (.333) and Caitlyn Newton (.500) led the way with 12 kills apiece, while freshman Emma Ellis followed with nine. Redshirt sophomore Hayley Bush put up 36 assists, six digs and two kills. Junior Jena Otec rounded out Purdue's efforts with a match-high nine digs in the sweep.
HOW IT HAPPENED
SET 1 (25-12) | Purdue hit .571 en route to a 25-12 opening set win. The Boilermakers took a 7-1 lead off a pair of Cardinal errors, only to push its edge to 15-5 on a Cleveland kill. Purdue maintained its double-digit lead, closing out the set on Cleveland's second kill of the night.
SET 2 (25-21) | The Boilermakers opened the second frame with a 10-3 advantage, but a 6-1 Cardinal run brought Ball State within four at 19-14. Five Cardinal errors favored the Boilermaker lead, putting Purdue at set point. However, Ball State delayed the Purdue set victory with a trio of kills, including two from Natalie Mitchem. The Boilermaker stalled the Cardinal comeback with Cleveland's seventh kill of the night.
SET 3 (25-19) | The Boilermakers closed out the match with a 25-19 third set win. Purdue opened with a 9-5 lead, but consecutive Boilermaker errors allowed Ball State to come within two at 10-8. The two squads traded points until a Cleveland kill sparked a 3-0 run for Purdue. Leading 23-18, the Boilermakers closed the match with back-to-back kills from redshirt senior Blake Mohler.
The Boilermakers travel to South Bend, Ind. for a Friday night contest against Notre Dame. First serve is scheduled for 7 p.m. ET.
- Shondell earns 350th win, Purdue defeats Ball State in straight sets
- Purdue defeats Indiana 70-55
- Purdue volleyball wins second straight, sweeps Northwestern
- Purdue baseball falls to Ball State, 2-0
- McLaughlin powers Purdue past Michigan State for third straight win
- Versyp earns record-setting Big Ten win in Purdue's 60-42 rout of Ohio State
- Dolphins cash in on Colts turnovers, earn 2nd straight win
- Purdue volleyball cruises past Rutgers in straight sets
- Purdue volleyball defeats Oakland, 3-1
- Purdue volleyball wins fourth straight, tops Rutgers 3-0