PURDUE UNIVERSITY, Ind. (WLFI)—There was a lot of commotion at Ross- Ade Stadium for Purdue's football game on Saturday. Although the crowd wasn’t just there for the football game.
They were celebrating a legacy. Saturday was the dedication of Tyler Trent's student gate. His impact will go down in history.
"It was his spirit that caught fire across the nation,” said Purdue Board of Trustees Chairman, Michael Berghoff.
Purdue's dedication in honor of Tyler Trent was for all that he stood for and everyone he influenced.
"Everything about Tyler's life to me was literally heaven sent,” said Purdue University President Mitch Daniels. “Coincidence could not explain not only what he did, but what he brought to us."
Tyler passed away on January 1st, 2019 from a rare bone cancer called osteosarcoma.
Saturday would have been his 21st birthday. His brother, Blake Trent, said it's easy for people to put into words how Tyler touched their lives.
"He was such a one of a kind guy,” said Trent. “He would have some funny saying that he would say or maybe some funny quote that would make everybody laugh."
Tyler's parents Tony and Kelly Trent said there aren't enough words they could use to describe today's dedication.
"It's a bitter sweet day I mean we are so grateful and so thankful for everything that Purdue has done and all the fans and support,” said Kelly Trent. “But you know we're missing Tyler."
Kelly Trent said if Tyler were here he'd be proud. Seeing everyone come together would be a dream come true.
He would just look down and shake his head like I'm so undeserving like I don't deserve this,” said Kelly Trent. “But I think at the same time it was dream fulfilling."
In a short amount of time Tyler's poise and enthusiasm inspired the nation. His father said Tyler would have wanted everyone to remember one thing.
"I really hope that people realize that you have value too and that you can change the world if you just put your mind to it,” said Tony Trent.
- Purdue dedicates student gate to Tyler Trent
- Purdue to dedicate Tyler Trent gate at football home opener
- Tyler Trent's Legacy
- Purdue creates Tyler Trent scholarship for students encountering adversity
- Purdue student begins 100 mile walk for Tyler Trent
- Purdue University hosts candlelight vigil for Tyler Trent
- Purdue 'working on' campus memorial for Tyler Trent
- Corn maze design to honor Purdue's Tyler Trent
- Schedule for Tyler Trent's Purdue memorial service released
- Purdue to announce Tyler Trent physical memorial Wednesday