WEST LAFAYETTE, Ind. (WLFI) — Tyler Trent's legacy at Purdue University will now have a direct impact on the education of students at his alma mater. Donors have created the "Tyler Trent Courage and Resilience Award." It's a scholarship that will be given to undergraduate students who have encountered adversity while at Purdue.
Related: A spot held for Tyler Trent
The scholarship honors computer information technology alum Tyler Trent. He is currently in hospice care battling Osteosarcoma, a rare form of bone cancer. His spirit and fight against cancer captured national attention this year. Trent predicted Purdue Football's underdog win over Ohio State on Oct. 20, and has since been an ambassador for cancer research.
The University Development Office said this scholarship is still in the developmental phases. She was unsure how many scholarships would be given out, or the dollar amount.
All undergrads at Purdue are eligible to apply. Purdue says the first scholarship will be awarded in 2019.
Details on how to apply will be announced at a later date, according to the university.
- Purdue creates Tyler Trent scholarship for students encountering adversity
- Purdue dedicates student gate to Tyler Trent
- Tyler Trent's Legacy
- Purdue student begins 100 mile walk for Tyler Trent
- National Bobblehead Hall of Fame creates Tyler Trent bobblehead
- Schedule for Tyler Trent's Purdue memorial service released
- Purdue University hosts candlelight vigil for Tyler Trent
- Purdue 'working on' campus memorial for Tyler Trent
- Purdue to announce Tyler Trent physical memorial Wednesday
- Corn maze design to honor Purdue's Tyler Trent