WEST LAFAYETTE, Ind. (WLFI) -- Purdue international students came together for a Thanksgiving meal. On Nov. 17, Connection Point church transformed its lobby into a big dining room.
Purdue's christian ministry group Chi-Alpha created the event, which served dinner to more than 300 students.The group partnered with the church three years ago when the event became too big to host at the university.
Chi-Alpha Director Tiffany Patterson said it was important to show international students the love of God through this holiday of fellowship.
“We believe that God created every nation, every language, every people, every race and we believe that we're all really valuable to God and so we want to show people that. We want to show them love by introducing them to a typical American holiday,” said Patterson.
International students who attended the dinner said they enjoyed experiencing their first Thanksgiving.
“I feel like we're family the moment I just, you know, speak to them,” said a Purdue freshman from Malaysia.
A graduate student from China who won’t be traveling home for the holiday said the dinner felt like a home away from home.
“It really makes me feel like it's a home to me,” he said. “I think it’s a good chance for international students to make friends with other students from different countries,” he added.
A student from Nigeria said she’s celebrated Thanksgiving before but this was the first time attending the one hosted by Chi-Alpha.
“I don’t think I was expecting just how many people would be here. It just feels like a big massive family meal,” she said.
Members of Chi-Alpha, Connection Point and River City church worked together to cook the food.
- Purdue Christian Ministry brings together more than 300 students for Thanksgiving dinner
- Lafayette Urban Ministries hosts 32nd annual Thanksgiving dinner
- Bruno Mars providing 24K Thanksgiving dinners
- 300 high-tech jobs coming to Purdue's Discovery Park
- Lafayette Urban Ministries help parents become heroes
- Lafayette Urban Ministry opens Winter Warming Station
- Lafayette Urban Ministry Turkey Trot 2018
- Lafayette Urban Ministry Jubilee Christmas Preview
- Thanksgiving dinner prices being impacted by recent crop harvest
- Community Thanksgiving Dinner offers more than just food