WEST LAFAYETTE, Ind. (WLFI/AP) - Purdue has been named the No. 3 seed in the south region of the NCAA Men's Basketball Tournament. The Boilermakers will play No. 14 Old Dominion in Hartford, CT on Thursday.
#Purdue is dancing for the 5️⃣th straight year!
— Purdue Mens Basketball (@BoilerBall) March 17, 2019
Purdue's potential second-round game would be between either No. 6 Villanova or No. 11 St. Mary's. The Sweet 16 and Elite 8 rounds in the South Region will be held in Louisville.
Virginia, Tennessee, Purdue and Kansas State were seeds 1-4 respectively in the South.
— NCAA March Madness (@marchmadness) March 17, 2019
The Atlantic Coast Conference claimed the top three seeds in the tournament, but it was the Big Ten leading the nation in tournament bids.
The Big Ten had eight teams make the field: No. 2 seeds Michigan and Michigan State, No. 3 seed Purdue, No. 5 seed Wisconsin, No. 6 seed Maryland, No. 10 seeds Minnesota and Iowa, and No. 11 seed Ohio State.
The ACC had led the country with nine bids in each of the past two seasons, but slipped to seven this time to tie the Southeastern Conference, while the Big 12 had six.
The American Athletic Conference and Big East each had four teams, while the Pac-12 ended up with three after looking at times like it might be a one-bid league this season
- Purdue awarded No. 3 seed in NCAA Men's Basketball Tournament
- Purdue volleyball reacts to NCAA tournament draw
- Purdue WBB left out of NCAA Tournament
- Purdue baseball draws Houston in NCAA Tournament
- Purdue softball completes sweep of Iowa to improve tournament seed
- Purdue volleyball falls to Utah in NCAA Tournament
- Purdue volleyball beats High Point, advances in NCAA Tournament
- Purdue's Carsen Edwards named to all-region team (NCAA Tournament)
- No. 12 Purdue volleyball sweeps ETSU in NCAA Tournament opener
- Purdue looks to make statement in NCAA Tournament