LINCOLN, Neb. (Purdue Sports) — No. 20 Purdue (11-5, 3-4 Big Ten) took a tough loss to No. 5 Nebraska (14-2, 6-1 Big Ten) at the Devaney Sports Center Wednesday night. The Huskers won the match 25-21, 25-26, 23-25, 25-15.
Junior Caitlyn Newton guided Purdue's offensive efforts with 17 kills, while redshirt sophomore Hayley Bush handed out 35 assists.
The Boilermakers hits a season-low (.099 – 28 errors in 141 attempts), while Nebraska hit .284 (59-21-134).
Defensively, Purdue was able to stifle the Huskers' front line, out blocking the home squad 10-8.
HOW IT HAPPENED
SET 1 (21-25) | Nebraska opened the set with a 9-5 edge and maintained control with a .323 hitting percentage. Plagued by nine miscues, the Boilermakers would not find the equalizer, dropping the frame 21-25.
SET 2 (16-25) | Purdue fell behind quickly off a 5-1 Nebraska run to begin the second. Refocusing with a timeout, the Boilermakers narrowed the lead to two after a pair of kills from redshirt senior Shavona Cuttino. Nebraska responded with five consecutive points to regain control and ultimately take the frame 25-16.
SET 3 (25-23) | Following the break, Purdue aimed to shift the momentum and did so with six kills from Newton. The conference foes tied the frame six times, before three Nebraska miscues gave Purdue a slim 21-19 edge. The Boilermakers capitalized on the opportunity with a block from Cuttino and sophomore Grace Cleveland. Leading 24-21, Cuttino clinched the set with a kill to the back row.
SET 4 (15-25) | Purdue and Nebraska went back-and-forth, tying the set seven times, before Nebraska delivered a 9-2 run for the lead. Unable to shut down a Husker squad that tallied 17 kills in the final frame, the Boilermakers were limited to only 15 points.
Purdue concludes a four-match road swing with a 7 p.m. ET match at Ohio State on Saturday.
- Purdue avoids sweep but falls to Nebraska 3-1
- Purdue volleyball falls to Michigan 3-1
- Purdue volleyball defeats Oakland, 3-1
- No. 20 Purdue Best Notre Dame 3-1
- Purdue volleyball falls to Nebraska at Mackey Arena
- Purdue women drop second straight, fall to Nebraska 84-64
- Purdue squanders late lead, falls to Nebraska 67-61
- Purdue drops third straight, falls to Nebraska 13-4
- Purdue baseball swept by Nebraska in Lincoln
- Purdue softball drops Saturday doubleheader to Nebraska