WEST LAFAYETTE, Ind. (WLFI/Purdue) — Purdue University police released parking and traffic plans for Thursday’s football home and season opener. Big Ten rival Northwestern will visit Ross-Ade Stadium for an 8 p.m. kickoff.
“After last year’s bowl win, fans are excited about this football season. So, we’re expecting a very good crowd and a lot of traffic during the day on campus,” Purdue police Chief John Cox said. “Faculty, staff, and students may not be able to park where they normally do. We’d just ask that they read the signs, pay attention to police instructions and be patient.”
Recreational vehicle lots in the upper part of H Lot, the north end of the France A. Córdova Recreational Sports Center and the Intramural Black Lot will open to RVs at 6 p.m. Wednesday. Also on Wednesday, the parking lot north of Owen Hall will be cleared for football parking at 5 p.m.
Game-day parking; garages and lots will be affected for faculty, staff, students parking on campus Thursday
For parking lot locations listed below, see the Game-Day Purdue Parking Map.
At 7 a.m. Thursday morning, faculty, staff and student parking will be impacted. Vehicles in violation of these restrictions will be towed to the Discovery lot south of Nimitz Drive (on the south end of the lot) or the gravel lot off of Ahlers Drive across the street from Purdue Parking Services.
The following parking lots will be unavailable to faculty, staff and student parking beginning at 7 a.m. and will open solely for game-day parking at noon: A, C, F, G, H (lower lot), J, K, O, P, Q, R, S, W, Y, Z and the new gravel lots located between 5th and 6th streets and Russell and Waldron streets. Lot V, just off Grant Street at WLHS, will open for game-day parking at 4 p.m.
In the parking garages:
• The Grant and Wood Street garages will be under normal operations throughout the day.
• The Harrison Street and McCutcheon garages will be open throughout, with relaxed enforcement for faculty, staff and students. Avoid handicap and reserved spaces and posted tow-away zones.
• The University Street (faculty and staff) and Northwestern Avenue (faculty, staff and student) garages will be available for normal in and out use until 3 p.m. After 3 p.m., all entering vehicles will be charged $20. Motorists may purchase permits upon arrival with cash, but only if parking is available.
In parking lots and streets on Thursday only:
• All other surface parking lots and street parking on State Street and Martin Jischke Drive will be relaxed enforcement for faculty, staff and student parking, Cox said. However, all reserved, handicap and tow-away zones in lots will be enforced.
• An additional grass parking lot will be made available west of the new Aspire apartment complex on the south side of State Street, across from McCutcheon and Harrison residence halls. The entrance will be off of Marshall Drive. All vehicles must be removed from this lot by 7 a.m. Friday.
Faculty staff, students leaving campus
Game traffic will begin arriving on campus during the work day, and faculty and staff who are exiting campus will see an increase in traffic during the evening rush hour. Individuals leaving central campus at the end of the workday will be guided by police to drive south on Martin Jischke Drive to U.S. 231. Purdue police will have officers in place to help individuals exit the University Street Parking Garage and navigate from Waldron Street to Third Street and then to Jischke Drive and U.S. 231. Upon arriving at U.S.231, drivers can choose to turn north or south.
Incoming game traffic
Those arriving for the game for pay lots should take U.S. 231 to State Street.
The following are for permit lots:
• Take Northwestern Avenue to Cherry Lane or Stadium Avenue.
• Take U.S. 231 to Lindberg Road to McCormick Road and then either to Cherry Lane or Stadium Avenue, depending upon the permit.
- Purdue announces parking, traffic plans for first home football game
- Purdue football announces future football game dates, opponents
- Purdue football announces times for six 2018 games
- Traffic and safety preparations for Purdue football home opener
- West Lafayette prepares for Purdue football traffic
- Traffic Concerns for Purdue Game Night
- Airbnb hosts made big money during Purdue home football games
- Info: Upcoming Purdue football spring game
- Parking information for Purdue-Indiana basketball game
- Tiny homes arrive at Purdue ahead of first home football game