WEST LAFAYETTE, Ind. (WLFI) — Purdue University has adopted a new global collaboration statement. It was designed to help increase cross-culture engagement among the many different backgrounds on the university's campus.
It builds on a prior project that created the phrase, "One World, One University, All Boilermakers." It also comes after the creation of a student pledge in April 2017 to encourage a culture of academic integrity.
The principles state:
“As an academic institution committed to providing a comprehensive education, we value and support the cross-cultural interactions that occur between students of all nationalities. Recognizing this, we commit to the development of globally minded citizens who understand their identity is not defined solely by nationality, but rather is connected by the common thread of humanity.
We stand firmly to uphold three fundamental principles of intercultural education:
* Reflection - to establish a deeper knowledge of who we are as individual Boilermakers, with unique identities tied to our global experiences and personal backgrounds. As we learn to embrace a wide range of cultures, our university will excel. As a result, Purdue University will grow in cultural awareness that will enhance personal development in support of a more global society.
* Expectation - to anticipate that every member of the Purdue community will learn to value international perspectives and commit to global engagement. By encouraging global interactions, our community will be strengthened substantially, and Purdue University will forge a future toward continual global development.
* Commitment - to maintain an educational atmosphere based on empathy and communication. Through supporting the cultural exchange of individual ideas, we engage in a holistic approach to learning. When applied, this produces an atmosphere of global collaboration and interaction.
The statement was designed to help increase intercultural collaboration on Purdue’s campus.
“I am thankful for the students who are leading the charge with this statement,” said Katherine Sermersheim, dean of students. “Their enthusiasm and dedication to making Purdue a better place is welcome and appreciated.”
- Purdue adopts global collaboration statement
- Purdue Global seeing results
- Mixed opinions on Purdue Global
- Purdue officially launches Purdue University Global
- Purdue Global terminates its employee's confidentiality agreement
- Purdue University Global Awarded Exclusive HIMSS Designation
- Purdue students call on university to make a statement
- Purdue looks to make statement in NCAA Tournament
- Purdue Global expected to be up and running by April
- Purdue University Global Introduces New Cloud Computing Degree Program