TIPPECANOE COUNTY, Ind. (WLFI) — Come this fall, Purdue University is offering a new minor that students are sure to be interested in. The university is partnering with local breweries, including People's Brewing Company, to promote new fermentation courses.
"We developed the Boiler Gold and we sell it and the proceeds that go back to the university go to the Food Science Department and they help benefit the programs they've got going there related to beer," said People's Brewing Company Co-Owner Chris Johnson.
Purdue University has had relationships with local breweries including People's for years. Now, those relationships are funding a new fermentation minor.
Dr. Brian Farkas heads the Food Science Program at Purdue. He said creating a minor is the first of many steps the department will take to expand the program.
"Right now it's a minor and as it gets more popular and we grow the interest, we want to turn that into a major," said Farkas.
Jean Jensen is a brewing chemist at Purdue. She said it's important to teach the basics.
"We really want to take the time to teach the student up front - the importance of not just the whole fermentation process," said Jensen. "But all the cleaning that’s involved."
One thing Jensen said is important for the students to learn, is the importance of using spotless equipment while brewing.
"So that you are providing true and accurate results back to those that are going to be using them," said Jensen, who explained the intricate details of the industry.
So whether it's beer, wine or any of the other areas fermentation covers, Purdue students will be set for the future.
"When a student graduates, they'll get a job," said Farkas.
Chris Johnson added his words of approval.
"We're super excited about it."
- Purdue University to introduce fermentation minor this fall
- Purdue University Global Introduces New Cloud Computing Degree Program
- Purdue officially launches Purdue University Global
- Purdue University's Horticulture Park reopens
- Summer construction at Purdue University
- Happy 150th Birthday, Purdue University
- Purdue University forms research alliance with university in Peru
- Purdue University student receives prestigious scholarship
- IPFW officially becomes Purdue University Fort Wayne
- Purdue University enters in new endeavor