WEST LAFAYETTE, Ind. (WLFI) — A Purdue University student has earned a prestigious scholarship that bridges the United States and the United Kingdom. The Marshall Scholarship awards students from the United States a chance to study in the U.K. while pursuing a graduate degree.
Abby Lemert is a Senior at Purdue majoring in Multi-Disciplinary Engineering. The major is designed for students to create their own plan of study throughout their undergraduate studies. She found out recently that her hard work over the past three and a half years culminated in the Marshall Scholarship. An honor only 40 students nation-wide receive each year.
Lemert is Purdue's first student to be honored with the Scholarship in nearly 25 years. She plans to attend Edinburgh University for her first year and King's College London for her second. She said her line of academic interests led her to apply for the scholarship.
"I have always wanted to work in International Relations and International Law and Policy so from that perspective learning how to work with the United Kingdom, who are our closest ally, that is something that is so important if you want to go work in International Policy," said Lemert.
Dr. Mary Pilotte said Lemert's accomplishments are a product of everything she's done while on campus.
"To see her navigate four years of education, have interesting internships, go abroad and then have her work celebrated at a global scale and an international scale makes us very proud of her," said Pilotte.
Lemert plans on pursuing Law School after she returns from her studies in the United Kingdom. She wants to work in International and Cyber Security when she completes all of her degrees.
- Purdue University student receives prestigious scholarship
- Clinton Prairie student receives prestigious scholarship
- Purdue University professor elected to prestigious science organization
- WL student receives Indiana Homeland Security scholarship
- Purdue's Edwards invited to a pair of prestigious camps
- Purdue creates Tyler Trent scholarship for students encountering adversity
- Purdue officially launches Purdue University Global
- Purdue University's Horticulture Park reopens
- Summer construction at Purdue University
- Happy 150th Birthday, Purdue University