WEST LAFAYETTE, Ind. (WLFI) — Purdue University continues to move forward with plans to build two new dorms on campus. Now, the university has filed proposals from companies interested in doing the work.
Kip Touseull is a Freshman at Purdue who has noticed the need for change over the last school year.
"The dorms are definitely pretty overcrowded," said Touseull.
Freshman Peter Barabolak agrees.
"They're having to use closet space and multiple people over capacity in each room," said Barabolak.
Executive Director of Physical Facilities Don Petersen said the next steps have been taken to alleviate the problem in the coming school years. Six different companies submitted their bids to work on Purdue's campus by the April 20 deadline.
"Basically six teams submitted proposals last Friday," said Petersen.
Peterson said the two buildings will house 1,100 students.
"Roughly 500 beds in the one facility and 600 beds in the other facility," said Petersen.
Now that the bidding is over, the university has turned its focus to its main objective.
"Well, what this project will do is get us to kind of a break even point so we don't have to have students living off campus," said Petersen.
Purdue plans to complete both buildings by August of 2020. Until then, Petersen said there is a lot of work to be done on the current proposals.
"It took me all day today to go through two of them, so it's been a process," said Petersen.
While Purdue sifts through its information, students are anxious to see the new developments.
"I'm hoping it's going to be enough," said Barabolak.
"It won't be so overcrowded in most dorms now," said Touseull.
Petersen said they hope to have a short-list of companies in consideration by the end of May this year.
- Purdue University completes proposal entry process for new dorms
- Renovations set at Indiana University dorms plagued by mold
- Autopsy completed on Nobel-Prize winning Purdue University professor's wife
- Purdue officially launches Purdue University Global
- Purdue University's Horticulture Park reopens
- Summer construction at Purdue University
- Happy 150th Birthday, Purdue University
- Purdue completes weekend sweep, edges IU 56-53
- Purdue expected to add two new dorms to help with overcrowding
- Purdue University forms research alliance with university in Peru