WEST LAFAYETTE, Ind. (WLFI) - A Purdue Board of Trustees member who has a connection to Fair Oaks Farms told News 18 his thoughts on the investigative videos being released showing alleged animal cruelty.
Malcolm DeKryger is the manager of "The Pig Adventure." That's a working hog farm at Fair Oaks that educates visitors on the pork industry. He also He co-owns a feed company that provides food for the cows at Fair Oaks.
He said he had no idea of any abuse happening at the dairy farms, and is not aware of any such abuse happening on his farms. He employs several hundred works on his pig farms across the northwestern Indiana and northeastern Illinois. While he understands it can be hard to monitor large numbers of employees, he doesn't condone the abuse.
"In every company, every day there are sad and dumb people that will go to work," he said. "There is no excuse to abuse an animal."
He said his farms have a monthly veterinary audit to look out for signs of animal abuse. He adds that he is proud of his employees and trusts them to do good work. He said he has several long-time employees who he trusts to show other employees how to properly handle the hogs on his farms.
Operating a large-scale farm is a 24-hour job. A job he said they have to keep doing at Fair Oaks despite this controversy.
"It's not like a widget factory where you can turn it off with a switch and leave at the end of the day," he said. "We've got to go back in and take care of them (the animals) today and tomorrow. My people and Dr. McCloskey's people will do that same thing."
Dr. Mike McCloskey is the founder of Fair Oaks Farms. DeKryger said that visitor numbers are down at Fair Oaks, and he hopes to see them go back up soon.
- Purdue Trustee with Fair Oaks connection talks about animal abuse video controversy
- Fair Oaks owner responds to animal abuse video, outlines future
- Fair Oaks ARM video: Animal Welfare Expert talks about what is and is not abuse
- Video shows alleged animal cruelty at Fair Oaks Farms
- Newton County Sheriff's Office launches investigation into Fair Oaks animal abuse video
- Second video released showing alleged animal abuse at Fair Oaks Farms
- Three people charged in connection with Fair Oaks Farm animal cruelty case
- One suspect in custody in connection with the animal cruelty case at Fair Oaks Farms
- Names of men charged in Fair Oaks animal cruelty released
- Man accused in Fair Oaks Farms animal abuse appears in court for first time