WEST LAFAYETTE, Ind. (WLFI/Purdue) — Purdue University police are telling drivers to be aware of traffic disruptions on campus the morning of Saturday (Oct. 13) due to the Purdue Boilermaker Half Marathon.
About 2,500 runners who will compete in either a 5K or a half marathon are expected to descend on campus, said Purdue police Capt. Keene Red Elk. The half marathon begins at 8 a.m. and the 5K at 8:10 a.m. at the intersection of Cherry Lane and John Wooden Drive. It is expected to last until around noon.
"It's going to be a very busy day on campus," Red Elk said. "So, while our main objective is to protect everyone, we want to accommodate motorists as we can. We just ask that people follow the directions of the police officers that will be stationed at various intersections and be aware of what's going on around them."
Essentially, everything from north of State Street to east of McCormick Road and south of Stadium Avenue to Northwestern Avenue will see vehicle traffic restrictions.
Disrupted areas include:
* From the south, police will block northbound access where University Street, Russell Street, Martin Jischke Drive and MacArther Drive intersect with State Street.
* From the east, westbound traffic on Stadium and Northwestern avenues will be blocked.
* From the west, eastbound traffic for Cherry Lane and southbound traffic at the Cherry Lane and McCormick Road intersection will be blocked. Eastbound access on Third Street at McCutcheon Drive will be blocked, as well.
* From the north, southbound traffic on John Wooden and Steven Beering drives at Cherry Lane will be blocked.
* Cherry Lane will be closed from about 7:50 a.m. until the last runners enter onto northbound McCormick Road. Cherry Lane eastbound from McCormick to Northwestern will close again when the runners start turning off McCormick toward the North Stadium lot. This will affect the eastbound lanes only, and access will still be available to the golf course.
Red Elk said roads will reopen as the runners clear them.
- Purdue Police caution drivers during Purdue Half Marathon Saturday
- Purdue's 18-hour dance marathon starts Saturday afternoon
- Expect traffic disruptions for the Purdue half marathon
- Purdue University hosts 7th annual half-marathon and 5k race
- Purdue holds 8th annual Boilermaker half-marathon & 5K
- 2019 Purdue Half Marathon will lead to road closures during race
- Purdue University dance marathon is 100 days away
- HIGHLIGHTS: Big second half propels Purdue past Indiana State 94-72
- Purdue softball drops Saturday doubleheader to Nebraska
- Purdue to make announcement regarding Purdue NewU