WEST LAFAYETTE, Ind. (WLFI)—Each year the Purdue Student Union Board organizes events to spread the holiday cheer around campus.
The infamous Christmas Tree will be placed in the Great Hall at the union Monday afternoon. The tree will be lit and decorated Tuesday. The week will be filled with events after the tree is raised.
Groups will perform with sounds of the holidays Tuesday and Wednesday. Avleen Badwal is Co-Director of Spirit and Traditions at Purdue, she says local families have great stories that come with the tree.
"And we pick one to be featured in the Great Hall and a lot of the families have a lot of great stories of planting the tree and stuff like that so it's a really cool tradition."
In addition, Vice Provost for Student Life Dr. Beth McCuskey will light the tree this year. She says this is a great way for the community to come together with the university.
"The Purdue Memorial Union is one of our amazing facilities on this campus nearing 100 years old I think it's about 93 now, and so as we begin this holiday season with this fesitivity we certainly would love our community members to join us."
Families from around the area call in to Purdue to have their trees looked at in order to be selected for the Union. Badwal says the Board was able to make their final decision after traveling to nearly 14 local properties.
- Purdue Memorial Union gears up for the holidays
- Purdue Memorial Union Christmas tree lighting ceremony
- 2018 Purdue Memorial Union Christmas Tree Delivered
- Purdue is buying former church across from Purdue Memorial Union
- Christmas tree lighting ceremony at Purdue Memorial Union
- Traffic safety partners gear up for holiday season
- Purdue Union Christmas tree comes down early
- Purdue fans gear up for men's basketball home opener
- Purdue holds annual Memorial Day Service
- Schedule for Tyler Trent's Purdue memorial service released