WEST LAFAYETTE, Ind. (WLFI)--As of Tuesday night, the Purdue Memorial Union is shining a little bit brighter for the holiday season.
A huge crowd gathered to watch the Union Christmas tree lights turn on for the season. The annual event is a way to kick off the holidays, just before students depart for winter break.
The Purdue Bells performed several Christmas songs during Tuesday evening's lighting ceremony.
The 25-foot-tall centerpiece was donated by a local couple who said the tree in their yard needed to be cut down. Ruth and Rich Stoll said the blue spruce was hanging into their neighbor's property and something needed to be done.
Their friend, a Purdue alumni, suggested they donate it to the Union.
The Stoll's said they are so glad they are able to share their beautiful tree with everyone.
"Oh it's wonderful because if we just got it chopped down, and whatever they would do with it, I'm just so glad everyone can enjoy it and we're glad Purdue has it," Ruth said.
Even though the Stoll's originally come from Ann Arbor, Michigan, these Wolverines are happy to be a part of a Boilermaker tradition.
"It's interesting that we're a part of this Purdue tradition," Rich said. "Even though I'm not a Purdue graduate we're kind of excited to be a part of this."
Holiday performances featuring Purdue students and local music groups will take place from December 5th through 7th starting at 11 a.m. and will go until 3 p.m.
That all leads up to breakfast with Santa Claus on Saturday, December 8th beginning at 8:30 a.m. until 10:30 a.m. Mr. and Mrs. Claus will host a hot meal, with story time and photo opportunities following. Tickets are $4.00 each.
The 'Guess the Lights' competition is also going on now until December 19th. You can submit your guesses on the north side of the tree for a chance to win one of several prizes.
- Purdue Memorial Union Christmas tree lighting ceremony
- Christmas tree lighting ceremony at Purdue Memorial Union
- 2018 Purdue Memorial Union Christmas Tree Delivered
- Purdue Union Christmas tree comes down early
- Purdue Christmas tree arrives at Grand Hall
- Purdue is buying former church across from Purdue Memorial Union
- Purdue Memorial Union gears up for the holidays
- Shortage of Christmas trees nationwide
- Purdue held its 'Teacher Pinning Education Ceremony'
- Noon Optimist Club Christmas tree sales