BURLINGTON, Vt. (AP) — A scholar from Purdue University in Indiana is going to become the next president of the University of Vermont.
The selection of Suresh Garimella was announced Friday by the UVM Board of Trustees.
Garimella will take office July 1.
Trustee chair David Daigle says Garimella emerged as the most capable candidate for the position.
Garimella, a professor of mechanical engineering, is currently Purdue's executive vice president for Research and Partnerships.
He says he's honored to be selected as UVM's next president.
“My time at Purdue has been nothing short of remarkable, due entirely to my inspiring faculty and staff colleagues and the students we are fortunate to work with each and every day,” Garimella said. “It is with sadness that I leave Purdue, but excitement that I have the opportunity to take on this new role at an outstanding land-grant institution with a storied history in liberal arts and sciences, and values that mirror my own.”
President Mitch Daniels shared the news of Garimella’s departure in an email to the campus community earlier Friday.
“I have known for some time that our friend Suresh was a candidate for this position, and I was afraid that UVM would make this very wise decision,” Daniels said. “We are extremely proud that Purdue produces the type of leaders that are recruited and wanted at other highly regarded institutions, but, as is always the case, these leaders are difficult to replace and I am not exaggerating to say that Suresh will be among the most difficult to replace.”
Garimella will succeed current UVM President Thomas Sullivan, who is planning to leave the post later this year to finish a book.
- Purdue EVP of research, partnerships named president at University of Vermont
- Purdue scientist lone finalist for U of Vermont presidency
- Some Purdue faculty concerned about university partnership with Chegg
- Purdue University forms research alliance with university in Peru
- The Purdue University Economic Research Center has received a new name
- Purdue Neurotrauma Group Continues Research
- Purdue University named fourth best valued institution in the U.S.
- Purdue University student body elects a new president
- Purdue president's contract extended
- Purdue officially launches Purdue University Global